Under active thyroid help Please

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I've just been diagnosed with under active thyroid so I had one blood to say if I have under active thyroid and I do but I just had to have another and the doctor said depending on the results I might have to have a scan? Does that mean it could be cancer??? Really scared sad

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear FrancescaEsse, please do not worry about cancer it is very unlikely. It is more likely that you will have to go on a daily suitable dose of Levothyroxine. This will raise your levels and you will be as normal as possible.

There is a thread here you should read 'Graves Disease and over active thyroid...' most of us had an overactive thyroid , had treatment and then ended up underactive.

I have been underactive for 30 years after radio active iodine treatment. There are people whom have had it much longer than that too.

It is a very safe medication, think of it as a vitamin, replacing missing nutrients.

You will have a period when you are adjusting after your doctors have decided how to go forward and it may take a while until you feel a lot better, this is normal.

If you are worried make a list of these worries and ask your doctors to explain it all to you. If you have a friend/relative you are comfortable with you could ask one to come with you. to your appointments.

Please try and think positive. I got married and had children all the time taking Levothyroxine. One bonus, if you are put on it you can get free prescriptions for life!

Good luck, hope you feel better soon and try not to worry.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your comment I'm 22 and have a lil boy it's just all so much to take in I don't know anything about it and then my doctor says I have to have another blood test. If this come back with something I will have to a scan to see if there's lumps I'm petrified and panicking. Thank you for your help I will have a read x
  • Posted

Hi there, i have had an underactive thyroid since i was 19 and i am now 37, i go for regular blood tests but my level has been steady for over 12 years now, i take 150mcg of thyroxine a day, i found out i had this cos i gained weight very quickly and was tired all the time, it doesnt affect my everyday life now, but even after all these years i do sometimes forget to take my thyroxine. There shouldnt be any need to worry im sure it will all be fine, and the scans will be just a precaution, if the other blood test is the same they may not even send u for a scan they will prob start u on thyroxine and monitor u every 3 months or so like they did with me,, and yes one bonus is like the other post said u never have to pay for prescriptions again x please let us know how u get on hun x
  • Posted

Hello Francesca, Goalbytobe is absolutely right and you must be strong for your little boy. Although it's a lot to take in to doctors it's every day stuff.

Do you have someone who could go to the scan (if you have it) or even your gp appointments with you?

It's always good to have someone's hand to hold.

If not think about your little one and be brave, I'm sure it will all be sorted out soon and you will be able to get on with your life. Good luck,I will be thinking of you.

• Posted

Has anyone got any advise, I was diagnosed with Under Active Thyroid 18 months, I am struggling now to get my weight down, I no my metabolism will be slow, but just wondered if I could get my weight down ....Diane
  • Posted

Don't worry, it's probably not cancer. Actually a lot of people have thyroid problems. out of six people in my family, four of us have low thyroid, and they just take a simple pill once a day to regulate it. My grandma had hyperactive thyroid and they had to fry her thyroid gland so it stopped working completely, but she was an exception to the rule (also it happened a long time before a lot of modern medicine took off). Thyroid problems aren't as serious as they sound.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm living with hypothyroidism for the last year. Well it was diagnosed a year ago but to be honest I believe I've had it longer than that. I am only 26 years old and daily chores for me are a struggle. I'm tired and as a result I am depressed. Strangely enough I'm not overweight and sometimes I wonder do I really have hypothyroidism. I feel that the eltroxin is more harmful than anything because I haven't improved at all in fact my hormones are all over the place. I felt when I started on the eltroxin I had so much energy and never felt so good. But after a year the effectiveness of the 50mg dosage has woren off and I have become immune to that dosage. What concerns me is that my doctor will continue increasing the dosage each time I become immune.i think that this is wrong and more damaging to your Heath. What about herbal medicines to encourage the thyroid to work again? Thyranol. I am so frustrated because Im becoming more and more tired. Please help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.