Under active thyroid ...I feel like I am going mad!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with an under active thyroid for over 15 years . Always taken levothyroxine. Started on 50mcg and now on 150 . Levels come back normal from doctors but I feel so ill! Fuzzy head .. anxiety .. panic attacks ... exhausted all of the time . I work full time and I am really struggling.  I literally feel dreadful from the minute I wake until the minute I go to sleep . It’s really getting me down . The anxiety and panic attacks started the same time as I was diagnosed but the doctor says they are unrelated . Can anyone give me any advice? My whole body aches and I just feel ill constantly . I feel like I have no life . Anyone experiencing the same? Any advice would be very very welcome please xx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Those symptoms are probably unrelated to thyroid , but some people react differently to the various thyroid replacement hormones. So you could ask your DR to try a different type.

I have been on Syntroid (USA ) since 2012 and it works fine with my body so I won't change , but I heard friends that kept switching until they found the compatible type.

• Posted

Melanie, sorry to hear this. Anxiety, exhaustion and depression are not uncommon results of thyroid problems so your doc sounds like an ignoramus. Can you get to see an endocrinologist and get the full range of tests? I have the same general set of symptoms you describe. Diet and staying fit can help. Keep after the doctors and don’t be fobbed off.

One other thing to try is liothyronine, sold as Cytomel, as well as the Levothyroxine which is what I assume you are on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.