UNDER ACTIVE THYROID OR NOT??!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All, I had a blood test 2 weeks ago as for about 2 years now I have been in very low mood, constantly tired, put on 3 stone in weight and most recently had to have carpal tunnel surgery.  I know nothing about this, but the nurse gave me my results and said to make an appointment to see the Doctor as "you have an underactiove thryoid".  My blood test reading was 7.5 and the nurse said the normal was 3.5.  I have been to see my Doctors today and she said I havent got underactive thryoid unless my reading reaches 10.0 but agreed the norma was 3.5-4.5??  All my symptons fit and I was so relieved with what the nurse initially told me as I thought I had finally found "an answer" .  I am now back at square one.  Doctor said to come back for another blood test in december!  I am a 41 year old female, apart from the above, otherwise healthy.  Any help/advise would be great, thanks smile

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi lovely, can I ask, what country are you in? I know that sounds an irrelevant question, but answer depends on it, you'll see why. Xxx
  • Posted

Hi again. UK, bugger! Unfortunately in this country we are stuck more than say USA, Australia etc, where docs, generally, are more willing to start treatment as soon as you are out of normal range. But all is not lost. Are you in a practice with other docs? If you are, then it would be worth seeing all the other ones, stressing how bad you feel and how it is impacting on your life, family, job, children, marriage, and how much you need to get better. (To be continued)
  • Posted

Also, if you are on facebook, can I suggest you join the Hypothyroid UK page, which will give you a wealth of support and information.
    • Posted

yes I am on FaceB so will have a look at that page!

I am in a practice with other doctors yes.  the Doctor I saw today was not my usual  Doctor, so I might go back then and have another chat.  So frustrating....just when I thought I had an answer too sad

• Posted

Also the site, Thyroid UK is an really good one, a charity that works for us which is a whole amount of information to help you understand this condition.
    • Posted

excellent thank again.  Just a bit confused following the appointmeny this morning - dont know if I have it or not!!  All the symptons the nurse gave originally gave me of this condition, well it was like she was reading my diary!  Thanks again for the info - I have just requested to join the faceB group x
  • Posted

You do have an answer, you ARE Hypothyroid, you have simply encountered a bureaucratic nutty, who has no idea what this disease does to people, and who would rather sit behind 'guidelines' which is all the reading of 10.0 is. It is not a hard and fast rule, by any means, once you are outside of the 'normal range', which you are. Push them lovely, let them know you ain't dropping it! Xxxxx
  • Posted

I'm exactly the same as u last Oct went the docs cos I was sick of feeling not me.

And sick of moaning all the time tired achy weight gain I work shifts 12 hours have 2 kids under 10 have a horse and dogs so I'm always on the go but found it difficult like I am doing everything with lead boots on my body aches all the time I fall asleep as soon as i sit down then when I go bed I can't stay asleep and get up in the morning still knackered .am always freezing cold.

My hands and arms ache diagnosed carpel tunnel had surgery in my right hand for that.

In Oct The doc I saw did loads of blood test got a phone call a week later to repeat thyroid function test as it was 11.5 range was (0.4-5) came back at 7.5 said repeat in 3 month .but I went back cos I'm still tired and achy I noticed on my notes it say no further Action repeat in 3 month iv just kept going back iv me never been the docs do much in my life but I'm not sitting here feeling this rubbish all the time when it could be treatable when I went last month he did some more bloods for vit d which was low so now I'm taking prescription vit d tablets .

I'm just hoping it's that that's been making me feel tired ect cos at least they have given me something for that.

Good luck just keep going back I am x

• Posted

Doctors are incredible sometimes. They use the ranges to deny people proper treatment, but then don't treat people whose TSH is obviously too high.. Your TSH is well outside the range. Have you had any other tests? If so, get the results and the ranges. See another doctor who knows about thyroid disorder and will treat you properly. Don't wait till December. 
    • Posted

Thanks, I am definitely going back! It was on my mind all day yesterday, given a glimmer of hope then had it snatched away again. You guys have been great and the advice is brilliant, thanks so much 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.