Under Pressure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Would be grateful if any one knows of a link between IBS and high blood pressure.

I have IBS and have for a number of years and cope well enough to leave where I live and work part time. The job is rung down from what I used to do and I am fine.

I have had a number of blood pressure read outs lately and I am in the 160 range of high blood pressure but I have no symptoms and feel fine but apparently this region is a concern so wondered if the IBS was a factor. 

I do suffer with anxiety but not anxious about anything currently.

All ideas gratefully received

M

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

the high bp is more likely to be anxiety than ibs, and yes white coat syndrome is very real! if you want to get an at home monitor go for omron - they are approved by medical boards and used in gp's and hospitals so are very accurate and reliable.

take your bp 3 times a day, before food, after sitting quietly for 5 mins or so. do not talk, move around or cross your legs when taking bp to get an accurate result.

bp can also be brought down by diet - reducing salt is a big one, drinking more water/squash and less tea/coffee will help too. i know you are a fan of walking, which is great as exercise does wonders for bp.

• Posted

Thank you I will look into it. I am currently in A and E. I cut myself and 4 hours later still bleeding. Ridiculous 

I don't think I have that much salt but need to see a nutrionist again. 

• Posted

PS Omron note made and the way my health is at the mo I think I need to pay for the best. I will do. I drink almost exclusively water. Walked 7 miles today as needed to walk to the hospital so not for fun. I have stopped clotting so you could follow my path as I left a 4 mile trail. Ridiculous Thank you for your help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.