Under tremendous tension

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 42 yrs. old male. I have back pain for quite some time now. Was experiencing some sensation in my belly and gas for past 4 weeks, nothing painfull. Also having floating stool. Thought of Pancreatic C. Doctor said must be for back issue. Went for a stool and urine test. Everything came normal except Occult Blood positive. No visible blood in stool. Doctor said it is pretty common to test Occult blood positive and NOT TO WORRY. But I am scared to death. I have a family to take care of. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Just to add, I have nobody in family who ever had any cancer and diet is veg and fruits rich.
  • Posted

Bunty I would got for a second opinion not saying anything is wrong but price of mind is everything I had an egd us done at one of the top research hospitals and only slight pancreatic duct dilation was found I went to another prominent research hospital and they did a different variation of the same test and they found a cyst in the tail of my pancreas if nothing else I would ask for a conooscopy I also have back pain below shoulder blades floating stools would worry me pancreatic cancer can take 10 years to develop from a small cell I'm not a health care professional but have done my own research good luck to you and hope all goes well but it is your health be adamant

• Posted

Thanks Toni, my stool test did not show any abnormality other than positive for Occult blood and urine came back clean. Also my back pain keeps shifting, so is sensation in my abdomen....keeps shifting from top left to top right to middle. I am more concerned about positive occult blood in routine stool examination. 
  • Posted

I know there can be false positives with the stool test so no need to make any conclusions, however a colonoscopy is warranted just to be safe and I would hope your doctor ordered one. If not please request one asap. It's just not something to take chances with.

• Posted

Hi bunty

I'm in a similar predicament insofar as to what to do next.  Can you do a second occult blood test?  And if you wanted more then get a colonoscopy - that's the safest bet.

I've had ibs for years but recently some bleeding due to hemmerhoids and more consistent lower ab pain.  They have booked a colonoscopy for me but I've been wavering on whether it's urgent/necessary or not.

Keep following up with your next tests consistently - don't panic.  It is frightening but equally it could be nothing to worry about.  Good luck.

• Posted

ps I also have no family history and diet rich in veg & fibre!

• Posted

You should definitely get a colonoscopy where a camera is inserted into your colon so bowel cancer could be found. It sounds like it would take a weight off your shoulders. 
    • Posted

You may be right emily. The slight sensation of pain in my abdomen keeps moving from top left to middle left then middle right and so on. Doctor termed it as vague pain because of my back pain issue. So far I have done only one stool test which showed  occult blood. Doctor asked for two more occult blood tests and blood CBC. 
    • Posted

There is also a CEA blood test which looks for colon and rectal cancers, if you are interested.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.