Underactive - Anxiety?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

I wondered if anyone on here had hypothyroidism and suffered from anxiety?  I am a male and was diagnosed at 18, so have been living with it for 14 years now, but it seems to be affecting more as I get older.  Fatigue is hitting more but also just recently I have found myself becoming noticably anxious about things.  I've always been quite socially anxious, but i wondered if this was in any way linked to my underactive thyroid, or maybe if I was more prone to it through that.

Anyone any similar experiences? would love to hear from you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Iain,

I was diagnosed 8 months ago, and still a newbie at 22 years old. However after I was diagnosed I became very anxious, to the point some days I couldn't leave the house. In general I have always been shy but at the same time sociable. I also became very paranoid about my security and even little tasks like posting a parcel at the post office had me so nervous I burst into tears at the counter. The anxiety ended up making me depressed so I decided to start cognitive behavioural therepy, it was the best decision I ever made, I am finally just about back to my old self again! I have the odd day where I can be extremely anxious but I have been taught how to deal with it.

I hope this helps and I totally understand how you are feeling. 

• Posted

I have underactive thyroid and my anxiety is terrible I'm put on medication for it sad
  • Posted

Hi Ian,

I was diagnosed hypothyroid 8 years ago but actually have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Anxiety has definitely been one of the worse things about this condition for me. Understanding what is going on helps and so do  therapies such as cognitive behavioural therapy. As a recipent and provider of cognitive behavioural therapy (as a patient and mental health nurse) I can endorse stephanies response to her experiences with it.

Thyroid hormone plays a crucial role in creating and regulating neurotransmitters such as serotonin and nerepinephrine.  When an imbalance of thyroid hormone occurs neurotransmitters go haywire and cause anxiety and panic attacks which are made worse by the physical symptoms of hypo or hyperthyroidism and is actually said to be a more common cause with hyperthyrodism.

Do you have persistantly low thyroid or are you sometimes prone to swings of hypo and hyper phases?  If so, is it possible you may have hashimoto's? Just asking because hashimoto's is an autoimmune problem and does get progressively worse. Doctors prescribe thyroid medication (T4 levothyroxine) for both conditions but they do not have the same root cause. 

Jen

• Posted

Hi Iain

Yes, along with the other people here who have answered, anxiety is certainly part of my illness.  It comes in waves along with the fatigue and other aspects.

• Posted

Yeah, I think it goes hand in hand with hypothyroidism, but at the same time I think it's part of the adrenal problem that causes the anxiety. Adrenal function is directly related to the thyroid and it's the cortisol levels that are affected by stress and control how stressed you feel. If you don't have enough cortisol because your body has been stressed (physically or mentally), they you will experience anxiety. Lack of thyroid hormone would cause stress on your physical body.

I also just got my DNA tested and I have a gene mutation that makes me prone to worry and anxiety. Jeez...no wonder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.