Underactive Bladder

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've been suffering with an Underactive. Bladder for several months now. For example, the other day I had only voided 150ml by 4pm after having drank a litre up to that time. Today I have just been to the bathroom at 12.30pm and having drank 3/4 litre, I only voided 90ml. This happens most days. I have seen the Doc several times, the Bladder Nurse, and last Monday, the Urologist. Urologist checked my bladder and kidneys. They were fine he said. He checked my flow and output. Both were fine. But then they would be when I drank a lot more than usual in such a short space of time. Of course this is necessary for an ultrasound bladder scan. I couldn't convince the Urologist of the problems I am having with low voids and not wanting to go all day. I usually drink about 1500ml per day. Also, whilst urination is minimal during the day, it comes back to normal in the early hours when finally I can empty my bladder. I think it's an anxiety problem and during the day Im really worried and upset about it and subconsciously tensing up my sphincter or something then of course at night when I've been asleep, I'm totally relaxed and things come back to normal. I told the Urologist I am obsessed with the problem. To which he simply said don't be! Thing is I'm scared that my low voids during the day will stop all together or all the fluid "Retained" in my bladder will trigger and OAB episode or that my bladder will be damaged. Just makes me wonder if the ultra sound was enough to detect worse problems or even if they missed something. But this has been going on since July now. As things stand, I'm waiting for the Doc to get the letter back from the Urologist. Strangely though, I can bring on urination by laying on the sofa for an hour or so. This also points to tension causing my problems as I'm relaxed when I'm layed down. Has anyone else had similar problems to this?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Not to minimize your problem, but I have an overactive bladder and have to pee often so I would love to have your problem! Okay, so have you had a post void residual ultrasound done? You empty your bladder and then the tech does a scan of your bladder to see how much urine your bladder is retaining. If you are retaining within normal limits I wouldn't worry too much. Also, when people get anxious, they normally have to pee a lot, not less. This is because of the whole "fight or flight" reaction of your central nervous system. When you get scared or nervous, your body tries to rid itself of urine and hence, you urinate more. So I'm thinking anxiety is not causing you to not have to urinate. I would start with the post void residual ultrasound to see if your bladder is emptying correctly and go from there.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your OAB. I've suffered with that before now too. You mention a post void bladder scan. Yes I have had that done and they also scanned me when my bladder was full too. Both scans were fine. Also had my flow and volume checked too. All fine. But then having drank 1.5 pints in a short space of time, they would be. Of course I can't do that all the time can I. I understand your reasoning re anxiety not causing my urination to slow down during the day BUT here's the thing.

A) Following my hip replacement 7 months ago when I was first home from hospital, I struggled in the early hours to get to the bathroom and didn't make it on time! I was absolutely horrified . It was from this day onwards that I started with the low voids during the day (Although I always emptied my bladder in the early hours) and I also noticed a lack of urge sensation in my bladder too.

B) It was a few weeks later when I saw Doc and she said to drink more and up to that point it was the hottest day of the year too. So I drank loads before going into town thinking that having drank so much, it would help bring my urge signals back. Wrong! I ended up with the worst experience! Out of the blue I had a totally overwhelming urge to wee. It was a 3 minutes walk to the loo but as I was in great pain and could barely put one foot in front of the other, it felt more like 300 miles! It was terrifying. How I managed not to have an accident in the busy town centre, I will never know.

C) I think both these experiences impacted on me psychologically and have resulted in my lack of urination during the day to stop me having an accident. I'm thinking my sphincter is maybe reacting to me subconsciously by tightening up so I hardly manage to void but then of course when I've been asleep a while, everything relaxes again and normality returns.

D) Also because I've got very little urge sensation, this maybe impacting too because i don't want to have an accident through not feeling the need to go!

So a lot of it is about anxiety I think because it's on my mind all the time. If only I could stop all these fearful thoughts etc. But of course it's not that easy.

• Posted

Most likely there is nothing wrong with you. Our urinating pattern depends on what we eat, what we drink, and when we eat, when we drink, and our activity level. Without very specific details, it is hard to be sure. However, there are many of us that are just like you (myself included) with very low volume in the morning, higher in the afternoon, and a lot during the night.

My first theory is that in the morning we usually are very dehydrated, going all night long without much food or water, so whatever we drink may just be enough to hydrate ourself, leaving little left to be turned into urine. My second theory is if we are active during the day, much of the consumed liquid will be used for those activities, again, leaving little left to be turned into urine. Both of these can apply at the same time. They are the most probable causes.

Your daily liquid consumption of 1500ml, though adequate, is not that much. 3/4 of a liter in the morning is not that much either. If you want to void more, you will have to drink more, being less active, and perhaps also very important, consume less sodium since sodium will retain more water in the stool, again, leaving less to be turned into urine. Hope this helps.

Just like Middlechild said, you should be glad you do not have the Overactive Bladder problem. I am.

Hank

• Posted

Hi there, I have just spoken to the Doctor this morning and she said that they could find nothing wrong and that very likely it's a psychological problem. Though I do understand what you mean about what we eat and drink and when etc. However I think you may have misread part of my message because I usually have a very high volume first thing. Like 650ml I mean. Then it tails off completely between 8am and 10pm . That is unless I have a big drink in a short space of time.

But I go along with your first theory. That may be part of the problem as I usually have my last drink at about 6pm and no more till 8am approx. I agree with your second theory too only I'm not very active really.

Re my liquid intake, interestingly the Urologist said that I litre is enough to drink in a day. I couldn't believe it! Even the doctor this morning hinted at that but then said 1500ml is ok. Then the Bladder Nurse said up to 2 litres! I wish they would all say the same thing. Also, I'm not taking in much salt. But having said it I will keep my eye on what we are eating to see if I'm eating more than I realise.

Anyway thanks for your comments. :-)

• Posted

Again, 650ml in the morning is not that much, barely enough to rehydrate you. Also, if you also eat some dry (and/or salty) breakfast, some of the liquid will soak into the food and it will take 6-8 hours of transit time to get to the colon where it will be absorbed into the bloodstream where the kidney will decide to convert it into urine if needed.

Been there, done that. We drank to much liquid and it led to OAB symptoms, or even worse, acute retention where we could hardly void at all. So we got scared so we start cutting down liquid intake, especially in the evening. Suddenly, now we think we can not wee when we should and we are scared again.

Your urologist has a problem if he recommend 1 liter a day, it is a prescription for chronic dehydration. Your bladder nurse advice of 2 liters is more like it. The Internal of Medicine (IOM) recommends 2.7 liters for women and 3.5 liters for men. Your 1.5 liters a day intake is OK if you are not too active, but do not expect to void so early so often. Again, nothing is wrong with you. 😁

Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank, Maybe I didn't make myself clear. The 650ml was referring to my early morning void, not my fluid intake. Usually have porridge for breakfast so nothing salty.

Yep I am scared but here's the thing. Same as most days, having drank 1 litre by 2pm or 3pm today I had only voided 300ml. So at 4pm I drank 400ml within about 20 minutes and an hour or 1.5 hours later, I had a 400ml void! Sometimes it's 500ml +. I find have found that 2 things trigger decent voids. A big drink if I drink it quickly and if I lay on the sofa for an hour or so. It goes like this most days.

Yes I think 1 litre a day is wrong too. So I've been sticking to 1500ml but I might have another drink before bed tonight and see what happens. After all it's an awful long time from 6pm till approx 8am to go without a drink isn't it. The 650ml void is within the 24 hours time frame. So any voids after this are in the new day. It's good if I can wee before lunch time these days. I do but rarely. Then only small voids afterwards.

What also strikes me is that when I've seen Docs and the Urologist etc, they've never asked me any questions like how much time between drinks and what am I drinking, what time is my last drink of the day and how big is each drink - so on and so forth.

But it's a good point. I can't expect to void so early or so often after my 650ml void can I? No probably nothing is wrong. It just feels so strange hardly urinating all day till I have a bigger drink at about tea time.

• Posted

OK OK. 1 liter by 2 or 3PM -> 300ml void is perfectly normal since you were very dehydrated in the morning. After this, you are hydrated so most of what you drink after will be turned into urine, given time. Laying down just makes it easier for the kidney to produce urine.

You can drink before bedtime but don't drink too much because you may have to get up before morning. Some people have a routine of geting up in the middle of the night and have a cup of tea. I can't do that because I'll have a hard time falling back to sleep.

Doctors don't have time or skill sets to analyze individual details. They are good mainly for prescriptions or surgeries.

Anyway, you are perfectly normal. Stop worrying.

Hank

• Posted

Hi Hank, Same again yesterday. Only 300ml in voids by 3pm so at 4pm I had a big drink and layed on the sofa and managed 400ml in an hour. Then at 7.15am I had a 550ml void. I wasn't aware that laying down made it easier for the kidneys to do their job. I had another drink at about 8.30pm but still didn't get up in the night. Yes I see what you mean about Docs not having time to analyze individual details etc. Yes I am probably normal although my concern is because I've not always been like this. Usually I would want the bathroom after a couple of drinks and have good voids too. It's all probably a result of that near accident I had in town that day.

• Posted

hi Shirley , this is 100% me and i have exactly tge same symptoms. i can go several hours without urinating despite drinking litres of water.

urination in the morning is no problem but during the day anxiety sets in and i am constantly pushing and pulling on the abdominal muscles to try and create a sensation. i would love to hear from you Shirley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.