Underactive Thyroid?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been on a very low cal diet since start of Jan and although my weight loss started offf well it has now come to an utter holt! Im barely losing weight now and thats virtually impossible on this diet! Anyway my mum, nan and gr8 nan all suffer with underactive thyroid and my mum has suggested i have a blood test as she thinks it may be a cause of my sudden weight gain/ now slow weight loss. My periods have always been v irregular and have now totally stopped, I have extremly dry skin, constipation, feel the cold easily and feel v run down and tired. Im booked in for a blood test on thursday and have to say Im v nervous!

What are the odds?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Can ne1 help?
  • Posted

Hi there Sm123

I have had an underactive thyroid for ten years and as I can recall I had more or less the same symptoms, apart from hair seemed to be loosing more quicker than ever before and I remember being very tired, my periods were irregular and I was thought to be depressed by my GP but as it was I also trying to loose weight but I didn't have any joy and as I had heard of this auto immune disorder I asked the nurse for a blood test, and there it was I had very low levels and I had to be prescribed with thyroxine......... it was a shock to the system!!!! but anyway that is my story....... you do sound like there is some kind of hormonal imbalance (lack of periods) but as I am no doctor I can't predict, only go by my experience, I would tell your doctor your worries and he should undergo the necessary blood work to be done!

I hope you start to feel better soon xx

SES

:diva:

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! Do you think it's likely then?
  • Posted

hi there

I am not qualified to say that it is likely, I have had similar symptoms with my under active thyroid, but as there are several auto immune disorders I wouldn't like to say? all I can say is your symptoms are very similar to what I have had, if your thyroid is under active then it will show up in a blood test. You should make an appointment with your GP and he/she will tell you the results, I think my results took three days but I predict different practices have different time scales........ my GP's surgery actually phoned me to go and see him, as my levels were very low! So if this happens don't worry too much! at least then you will get the answers xx and Good luck x

Kind regards

SES

• Posted

Hi, I went for my blood test on Thursday and Im so glad it is over!! I was very very nervous!! Im just a bit anxious waiting for results now. Not for the actual result itself just more the telephone call!!
  • Posted

HI there SM123

My GP's surgery phoned me as my levels were very low, and so quite serious. If they haven't contacted you by Tuesday you should contact them yourself to put your mind at rest!! They even could be back Monday afternoon, your nurse should have advised you when the results will be back?

Anyway good luck x, If the tests show that you are ok, then this is one disorder ruled out and so I would suggest making an appointment with your doctor either way as then other investigations need to be taken or advice on medication. Keeping a diary of your symptoms could help too, as it took me a year to get diagnosed with fibromyalgia, as I have found that not all doctors are sympathetic! from pain management registrar to a Rhuematologist, they just put my condition to mechanical back strain and yet I am in pain all over!!! :oops:

I hope you get the correct treatment soon x

Kind Regards

SES

• Posted

Hiya SES thanks so much for your reply. Nurse said results shud be back by Monday - Im kinda worried because if i havent got hypotyhroidism im left wondering about what is wrong with me?
  • Posted

Dear SM123

If you type your symptoms in google, thyroid disorder comes top! have you been to the doctors before about your periods? Have you had children, as often after children are normally it settles down afterwards and becomes more regular? My friend was told she had polsystic ovaries which contributed to her weight gain and irregular periods, she has been ok since her birth of her daughter!

As with the dry skin, maybe moisturizing may help due to what may seem a hormonal imbalance. As I am no doctor I still suggest you consult with your GP your concerns and then he/she will give the full diagnosis.

I hope you feel better soon xx and good luck with tomorrow x

Kind Regards

SES

• Posted

I havent had any kids....Doctor didnt say much bout periods i think hes waiting 4 the results from these blood tests first. I keep gettin the stomach ache n bk pain but no period?? ive missed 2 now sad
  • Posted

Dear SM123

So there is no way you could be pregnant even? I guess you would have had test done for pregnancy? Doctor will hopefully give you your answers tomorrow for thyroid and then he/she should then take other tests to rule out causes. This is what my doctor had to do with me, I have had x-rays to MRI's in the end they got the answer and I do hope you get answers quicker than I did (after a year) this however was for my all over pain, not thyroid.

Take care,

SES

• Posted

Hi there SM123

Just wondering how you got on with your results?

kind Regards

SES

• Posted

Hi there,

I have ben following your concerns too.

I am in the same position at the moment, had the blood tests done and it seems that i will soon be underactive.

My thyroxin level is 13.1 and they say it shoudl be well above 12.0,so i am just on the brink.

My tsh is way too high and this means that my thyroid is not working prop and is over compinsating.

its the dizzyness and sore heads that get me, its a horrible feeling and i dont seem to see anyone else mentioning these symptoms, its makes me wondewr if there is something else wrong to.

Hope all is well with your reseults and will check for responce later on.

Tc and gl

Shirley

• Posted

Hi there Shirls

I cannot recall dizziness and sore head with me having a under active thyroid, maybe you should seek medical advice as I wouldn't like to say why you are having this too?

I had suffered with sinus type pain above my eyebrows but as that is it is linked to the Fibromyalgia I have, I have had Thyroid problems for almost 9 years and its taken a year to diagnose the Fibro, I hadn't suffered before with headaches?

I do hope you go and see your doctor as he/she will give you better advice?

I hope you start feeling better soon x

Kind regards

SES

• Posted

Hey thanks for your concerns guys! been so busy. I havent heard off doctor so i guess im in the clear?? Im kinda a bit empty as i still duno wots wrong with me. And I still havent had a period yet - its coming up to 3 now!! Ive got a doctors appt on this coming fri so i'll let you all no how that goes sad
  • Posted

Hi there SM123

So glad you replied, I do hope you get some answers shortly x, and make sure, you tell the doctor everything you can remember, write a diary if must and then he/she can maybe see from this?

My friend has just found out she is over 7 months pregnant and she said she wasn't aware of it, she has 5 weeks to go! :oops:

As with your symptoms mentioned previously, I do hope you get your answers shortly, and hope you feel better soon x. smile

Becoming a member on here may also help as other people may have similar experiences to you and you can also see other subjects easier that could apply to you x

Take care x

Kind regards

SES

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.