Underactive Thyroid?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have recently had a repeat blood test for a possible underactive thyroid. My last one was in Nov 2014 when I had the following results. TSH 6.6,

T4 12.1 no T3 was requested. Since these results I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and prescribed Pregabalin. My recent results are TSH 5.0, ( I think the Preg has lowered this) T4 11.5, T3 4.3. I also had the anitbody test done and my result is 755 against a ref range of 0.00-6.00iu/ml.

The doctor doesn't fell that I need to be treated for a thyroid problem, but from what I have read, I think I do.

Does anyone have any comments on this please.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was in the same position as you with T4 at the bottom end of the range and the doctor said it was OK. I was falling asleep while driving and had a foggy brain. I asked to see an endocrinologist who told me some people need to have their T4 in the centre of the range and put me on 25mcg Levothyroxine which cured the symptoms.
    • Posted

Thanks for that, I have a Drs appt in two weeks time. I will ask if they will refer me to an endocrinologist. I feel rubbish most days.
  • Posted

I have read that fibromyalgia is a symptom of hashimoto's thyroiditis. 

My TSH was 5.9 and my then-doctor thought that was fine (but never tested my Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies.)  I was suffering a lot.  I had piriformis syndrome and plantar fasciitis, my brain just would not work.....lots of symtpoms.    

I went to another doctor (my now-docotr) and she said my TSH at 5.9 was not fine and increased my Armour dosage and all my symtpoms resolved.

I think you're right, get a second opinion. 

• Posted

Cheers for that. I too have got plantar fasciitis and that took ages to get a diagnosis. I feel rubbish most days.

I will do some research into fibromyalgia and hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.