underactive thyroid

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi iv had underactive thyroid since I was 14 now 32 last tsh 0.66 t4 18 i was wondering if any one else has a horrible fluttering in what feels like heart and sometimes in front of neck where thyroid is I was diagnosed with eptopic beats after I had a 24 hr heart monitor on but I didn't feel any flutters when I had the monitor on its the worst feeling ever I just want em to stop it's worrying me and docs don't care any advice please

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel,I have frequent palpitations,and have secondary hypothyroidism,because my useless pituitary is not making my thyroid work.Unfortunately,palpitations can become worse if you're anxious! If your T4 of 18 is your Free T4, that sounds a little high possibly?? It depends what range they use in your area labs.I found the following info on Thyroid Uk.Hope it helps a little to explain things.Gill

TSH, TT4 AND FT4

There is a range, which is used for the tests. These vary sometimes which is why you must always ask what the range is, so that you can see where you are in the range.

TSH = THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE

This hormone comes from the pituitary to stimulate the thyroid gland into making more hormone. TSH rises when the thyroid is struggling.

The approx. reference range for this test is 0.4 to 4.5.

TT4 = TOTAL T4

Thyroid hormones bound to proteins. TT4 lowers when the thyroid is struggling.

The approx. reference range for this test is 50 to 160.

FT4 = FREE T4

Thyroid hormones not bound to proteins. FT4 lowers when the thyroid is struggling.

The approx. reference range for this test is 10 to 24

FT3 = FREE T3

T4 converts to T3 and is the only thyroid hormone actually used by the body's cells.

The approx. reference range for Free T3 is 4 to 8.3

• Posted

Thanks for ur reply I think e said free t4 18 my tag has neva been that low of 0.66 it's always been around 1.19 to 1.79 they neva test t3 if felt really unwell for about 7 months they just say everything is normal it's the fluttering then feels like heart stops then feel I'll after I can't cope anymore with it it's frightening me
    • Posted

Hi Rachel,I know it's a horrible feeling,but try and stay calm.I can't get my T3 tested either.I'm hoping I'll have a load of things tested when I eventually see a new Endo in June.I shall be asking for tests,can't go on like this.I keep telling myself that the heart palpitations are just another symptom,and when they finally check everything,perhaps I'll have some answers,and maybe put on something other than Levothyroxine.At least my GP is getting a second opinion for me,instead of sending me back to my usual Endo.Could you ask for a second opinion,do you think? Or even change your GP,if necessary? Whatever you decide,keep in touch.Also,I've only just started on these forums,as you do when you're struggling! Anyway,have you tried 'Thyroid Problems' on facebook.They are so helpful and supportive,and make you feel you're not so alone with your problems.Have to confess a few months ago I really wasn't keen on facebook etc,but it can be really useful.If you just carry on here,I'll still reply.Keep your chin up! Gill.
    • Posted

R thanks gill I'm going see the doctor again this week goin put my foot down and make him listen iv changed doctors already and non of them want no up have a look on Facebook x
    • Posted

That's great,Rachel.Good luck,and let me know how you get on.Gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.