Underactive Thyroid

Posted , 7 users are following.

The doctor has at least acknowledged that I hve an underactive thyroid having taken blood test for nearly a year. He wanted to continue to take blood tests, I insisted he do more as I find the symptoms very difficult.

Have now started to take levothyroxine 25mg a day. The thing I cannot understand is that I felt much better when I took the first tablet but the day after felt awful again. It made me feel better for about six hours, I went to bed and went to sleep and when I woke up it was back to squre one. Is this normal?

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Carmel,  also look into magnesium deficiency symptoms.  Best wishes.
    • Posted

Hi Leigh. I take a lot of vitamins so it wont be anythbign to do with anything to do with that.

My problem came on years ago and went up and down and then got a lot worse after an ear infection.

• Posted

Hi  Carmel

What antibiotics if any were you prescribed for your ear infection?

If you read antibiotic toxicity and floxiehope you may get some idea of what may have happened to you as a result of antibiotics that is if you were prescribed any.

Jeanx

• Posted

Hi Carmel,

You need to be taking the levo for 6 weeks or so before it build up a specific level so that the Gp can re test and then probably up your dose.  It is so hard to get to start taking the medication in the Uk I would not stop now you have a prescription.  take every day make sure you take in on an empty stomach and nowhere near your vitamins as they will stop it working. Wait an hour before eating and 4 hours before you take any vitamins.

When you go for the next blood test do not take your pills before you go on that day and make sure your appointment is first thing in the morning and then take your pill after the test.

If you are still feeling rubbish stand firm get a print out of your results from last time and the next time so you can see if there are improvements in the results.  Do not rely on uk gps to treat hypothyroidism properly, there are some very good doctors but the majority stick to your normal go away rule.  When in fact if your are hypo with hasimotos you rarely feel well if your tSH is above 2.  I did not start to feel well untill mine was very close to 0 and now I feel fab.

It has taken me nearly two years to get well,  so please dont give up at the first fence, you have a long way to go and if you battle on you will feel better soon.

Big Hug.

• Posted

Hi carmel, can you post your blood test results so that we are betterm infirmed to comment. Both the latest and the previous one so that we can seebthe xhange over time. I live Iin the UK and know that your doctor will oprovide these on request. The receptionist prints them at my doctors.
  • Posted

Hi Carmel, As far as sources go, this isn't the gold standard, however it's a useful starting point...

By Angela Epstein for the Daily Mail 20 May 2015

'Professor Mike Besser is Emeritus Professor at St Barts in London and consultant endocrinologist at The London Clinic.He explains: 'Hypothyroidism can happen at any age, although it is more likely to occur around the menopause or be linked to pregnancy. It is six times more likely to be diagnosed in women than in men. There is also a genetic element.'The stiff and swollen muscles Sherrie experienced are well recognised symptoms and these aches and pains can get worse on being given thyroxine, but then they will subside'.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.