underactive thyroid after partial thyroidectomy

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi

I had a partial thyroidectomy nearly a year ago to remove a non-malignant cyst.  Everything healed quite well and I was told that I probably wouldn't need thyroxine as my remaining thyroid would compensate.  However, a recent blood test has shown than although my pituitary gland is releasing the appropriate chemicals, my thyroxine levels are only just 'normal'. My GP has said that I will probably need to take thyroid hormone supplement soon.

Up till recently I had been feeling quite well - no symptoms that are normally associated with an underactive thyroid.  However, over the past few weeks I have been experiencing some light-headedness which comes and goes.  It feels as if I'm a bit 'spaced out'.  I mentioned it to my GP but she didn't suggest that it might be anything to do with my thyroid so I wonder if anybody here has had a similar experience? It never happens when I'm lying down. I'd be grateful for any input from anyone who had a similar operation to mine and the long term effects that they've experienced.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a partial thyroidectomy just over a year ago due to large goitre in it. I too was told wouldn't need medication as the other half would do all the work. Since the op I have been dolly putting on weight, very tired all the time and feel very low. Have been taking prescribed anti depressants, which I do not like taking and I find it very difficult to sleep for any long periods of time. I had to ask my doctor this week if I could have blood test to check my thyroxine levels . They usually come back bordering on the normal do no medication is given. Becoming more tired and fatter is probably the cause of me feeling low . How do you get them to listen to you. I've been trying for six months only to be given more anti depressants. These must be cheaper than the thyroid treatment tablets

• Posted

Caroline have they tested your T4 and T3  as many drs only test TSH which is not good if you have had thyroidectomy you need to have TSH, T4 and T3 tested else you could be hypothyroid... ,, saying that it took me over 2 years to start feeling ok so maybe you are still healing.. I hope you feel better soon or they check the correct bloods to make sure you are Hypo or not, I never put on weight till I become Hypothyroid so I would get all these bloods tested even if you have to pay private for them.. drs dont seem to care or maybe know how to look for hypo.. good luck XX
  • Posted

I had a partial thyroidectomy when I was about 30 (I'm now 58).  I didn't make know anything about they thyroid at the time and wasn't given any medication at all - just told to have my levels monitored every two years.  Over the years my weight gradually increased and I  struggled to lose any.  I went from 11 stone to now 15!  About ten years ago I developed pins and needles in my hands and arms, muscle cramps and low mood, also a feeling of pressure in my neck.  My bloods showed underactive thyroid and I was s ta rated on 50 mcg thyyroxine.  I read a lot and joined the Thyroid Society (well worth it - loads of advice and support for a minimal subscription). My GP seems to know very little and I realised that I need t be armed with reliable information before speaking to the GP.  Two years ago I paid to see an endocrinologist who now monitors me and my prescription was increased to 100/125 - I feel much better again - not perfect but better.  Sometimes it's hard to know what symptoms are down to your thyroid.  I wish you all the best in your journey. Take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hi,

I had a left thyroidectomy November 2016. My levels have been normal. I had the procedure b/c of a nodule. I also have small nodules on remaining right side. Have had lab work several times. I keep copies and graphed. Everything is normal. Due for another appointment in April and labs. Starting  aweek ago I have been having palpitations in the middle of the night. I thought it was a panic attack but I thought this morning and realized that my endocrinologist ask at every visit if I am having night sweats and palpitations. So I’m interested to see what my levels are now. 

Also my appetite has changed. Eating more than usual. 

Calling today for an early apt with my endocrinologist. 

Anyone experience the palpitations. 

Concerned. 

• Posted

I am just like you Gail, only barely out of the operating room. I had a partial thyroidectomy on the left side plus removal of a nodule four days ago. Haven’t even had my postop visit yet. Anyway from the moment I woke up this morning I feel so dizzy I can’t even stand it. I just laid down on the couch and don’t want to move because when I sit up I get super dizzy again. Would this have something to do with the thyroid issue or  is it too soon to anticipate something like this happening?  I have my  Postop appointment this coming Tuesday but if anyone knows anything about this I would really appreciate a little note here. 
    • Posted

You might have orthostaic hypotension which is low bp when you change positions. Tell your doctor maybe from anesthetic. But this is 3months old so....
  • Posted

Hi, I'm new to this group and need some advice or anything that will help me decide on my situation! I'm schedule for partial removal right lobe of my thyroid! No findings of thyroid cancer but Endo told me there is a 15 to 30% chance. 1st biopsy no finding bec. not enough cell and 2nd biopsy are inconclusive with follicular lession. My nodule is less thsn 1.5cm in my right lobe and ultrasound result is with microcalcification..My surgery is 3 weeks from now and thinking what if my nodule is benign. advice pls..

• Posted

Hi Pat, I had a partial to remove a benign nodule when I was 34, I'm now 58.  I was fine and not on any meds until about ten years ago.  I had a lot of tingling and a puffy feeling in my lips.  Then I started to get numbness and tingle no in my arm and hands. The doctor sent me for bloods and my tosh was too high.  He started me on 50mcg levothyroxne. Things did improve for a while but I had lots of other symptoms crop,up along my journey with hypothyroid.  Big weight increase which started before the meds. Feeling of not being me. Bad sleep, headaches and lots and lots of aches and pains, feet,were really bad, random joint pains etc.  I read a lot, joined the thyroid Society and armed with more knowledge started to feel that the doctor didn't really know enough to help manage my condition.  This came to a head when my levels of tosh came back at 4.9 and she said it was fine when I felt dreadful. She said 'I don't think we can blame everything on your thyroid' . I paid to see a endocrinologist - after seeing him a couple of times and my meds being adjusted my tosh is now round about 1 and generally I feel much better.   Join Thyroid Uk, arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can and live the best life you can with this condition - don't let it take over.  I'm still struggling with my weight but at least I'm not having all the awful symptoms I was before.  Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Last Thursday (12.7.2018) I had a left side hemithyroidectomy because I've been diagnosed with follicular thyroid cancer.  I think I have to wait four weeks or so for the results from the histology folks.  I'm sitting here feeling tired, fairly spaced out and light headed.  Has anyone got suggestions to get me back to myself sooner rather than later? I'm new to all this, so your info, advice and help will be much appreciated!  Thanks a lot. Susie

• Posted

Hi everyone... i had partial thyroidectomy in 2012. I was always an anxious person so I guess I never really thought anything about having anxiety...

Well my levels are normal always they say, yet I am cold all the time, I am anxious and cannot relax at all and for the past year I am dealing with breathing issues, like I can’t breath right.

I have an endocrinologist apple coming up and hope for the best! 

I really need to figure out what the hell is going on because i feel horrible! 

Does anyone have shortness of breath? 

Checked my heart, lungs, allergies, gastro (endoscopy, abdominal ct scan, X-rays for my lungs, blood work) all normal ... yet I still feel like crap.

Thank you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.