underactive thyroid and change of diet

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had an underactive thyroid for some 10 years. My Levothyroxine requirements has been up and down for the last year. After reading some comments here I am experimenting with taking the Levothyroxine last thing at night. However, I've been reading about the Gluten intolerance is very common with thyroid issues and was interested to hear other members cocmments on this and especially experiences with dietary changes.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sharon, Ive startd taking levo 3 months ago. Iave put on well over a stone in the last few months, and despite exercising every day and eating a balanced diet, I cannot shift the weight. We dont eat bread or pasta, havent had potatoes this year. I cant work out if its my hypothyroidism, menopausal hormone issues, stopping smoking and drinking less caffiene 7 months ago etc. I had been hoping that by now I would have seen a difference in my weight if my thyroid issue was the cause. Very interested to hear about gluten free diet. I was taking my tablet at night but now back to taking it in the morning as wasnt sleeping......but didnt sleep well last night, so dont think my insomnia is due to taking levo at night. Hope it works for you.
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, thanks for your comments. I've been taking my Levothyroxine now for 3 nights and the first two nights I had nightmares but last night I was nightmare free but woke up at 4 a.m.! As for during the day I feel so much better its like a miracle. I haven't gone completely gluten free yet as I crave wheat so much its annoying, I don't tend to eat bread very often. I've also started using Serenity Hormone Cream as I heard that can help with thyroid and hormones but that takes 3 months to get into our systems but all worth a try.

• Posted

I've been gluten free for several weeks and I think it's helping though it's early days and I also have ME so my body's struggling with a lot. I feel a little lighter and stronger and the gluten free diet isn't as difficult as I thought. I'm going to stick with it.

My doctor gives me Thiamine and Vitamin B Complex Strong and they help. I feel more relaxed with them and 5-HTP definitely helps because it helps to promote Serotonin in the brain, which helps to reglate all of the hormones. Gives the thyroid, hyppothalams etc a helping hand.

• Posted

Should have said 5-HTP is a supplement that I buy. I'm not sure if doctors prescribe it.
    • Posted

hi just reading you are doing a gluten free diet ... is it a literal diet you got from somewhere or are you just cutting out gluten?
    • Posted

Hi Georgia, thanks for your response. I've just started taking my Levothyroxine at night and I know its made a tremendous difference to my energy during the day, I will stick with it.

I take various vitamins including magnesium/calcium and do see a Hoilistic Healer who helps me with diet and supplement advice. I thought about trying 5HTP but unsure when to take it, when do you take yours?

• Posted

Because of having ME for 10 years I've honed my diet down to very healthy anyway so cutting out gluten was just one step more.
    • Posted

I take 5-HTP twice a day, I could take three but 2 are enough, and when I've feeling more energetic etc I only take one before bed. They cost money! biggrin
    • Posted

I should have thought this out and said it all at once! cheesygrin

I use Solgar supplements because I used to buy cheaper brands to save money but they don't save money because I was chucking it down the drain! rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Georgia, Me too I only use Solgar supplements and have done for some 25 years on the advice of my hoilistic healer. I 100% agree, they are worth the investment.

Regards, Sharon

• Posted

Yes I got the Solgar advice from a holistic healer too! They definitely help. Before I went to her some of the cheap ones I bought were terrible and did bad things to me.

I've never taken Levothyroxine; my doc gives me Thyroxine but I hardly ever take it. 5-HTP works better for me.

• Posted

Hi sharon I feel your frustration. The stone and a half ive put on will not shift despite gyming four times a week eating 1200 or less calories a day etc and when i say 1200 I counted every cup of tea or spoonful of sauce. Im so frustrated. Ive also decided to try the tablets at night as I enjoy breakfast. Id love to shift the weight but am at a loss as to what else to do. Would gluten free help much?
    • Posted

Hi Julie, thanks for your reply.

I've only done the tablets at night routine for 3 nights and I feel so much better during the day already, its like a miracle. I have read recently that the 5:2 diet helps which is Intermitten fasting and intend to try it soon. I think gluten free helps but its not easy to stick to in the winter so much!!

• Posted

hi sharon, my doc told me to take the levothyroxine at night as you have to have it a couple of hours after you have eaten .... i'm fine taking it then. im also interested in gluten free, i feel better when i dont eat bread but i'm not going gluten free at the moment but sounds like it should be the thing to do. i recently went to a naturopath and she has 8 people she's treating with thyriod issues and reckons they will be off their medication in 6 months. you take a 3 different drops 3 times a day (10 drops of each) and slowley wean yourself of your medication. i got to week 3 and went away and undid all my good work but im going to start it again next month cause i felt great! has anyone else gone natural?
    • Posted

Hi Cass, that sounds amazing your Naturopath. Keep us informed on your progress.

For me just switching to night time Levothyroxine has helped tremendously even after only 3 nights, I have so much more energy during the day and I feel 'different' which I know you all would understand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.