underactive thyroid and iron tablets

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 29 and was diagnosed with underactive thyroid and anaemia (due to heavy periods caused by hypothyroid) about a month ago. I was feeling very ill when I started the medication but am now much better, although I am still very tired. I can be on the go one day but have to rest the next day. My question is that is this tiredness normal or should I be feeling better by now? I take the levothyroxine then leave 2 hours before starting the iron tablets. Could the iron tablets be stopping the thryroid meds from working? I take 50mg levothyroxine and 3 x 200mg ferrous sulfate (also norethisterone to stop periods) Thanks for reading smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You should not take the ferrous sulfate at the same time as the thyroxine as it blocks the uptake of it. The medications full effectiveness will not be fully felt until about 6 weeks to 3 months after starting it so I would say it is early days. Are you booked in for a blood test soon. This should guide the GP as to whether he should up the dosage. All the best Maggie W

I would have thought 2 hours appart was enough but it wouldn't hurt to increase the interval

• Posted

Thank you Maggie, that is very reassuring, sounds like I just need to be more patient and increase the time between the levothyroxine and iron tablets. I am due to go for a blood test in a month's time, so will sit tight until then. Thanks smile

• Posted

Hi there - I too was on ferrous sulphate and Levo at the same time. I was told to take the Levo in the morning and the iron at night to try and get 12 hours between the two to reduce the interaction. If you can, , take the iron with some pure orange juice. The vit c I think helps the uptake of iron. This is based on what I was told by my GP!

With the Levo, it took around four weeks for me to notice an improvement. After a while you'll have your dosage reviewed to see how you're getting on. It can be a slowish process getting back to 'normal' but you've made the first few steps along the right path!

Hope you feel better soon - if you're concerned about the interactions, speak to your local pharmacist. They should be able to advise you on drug interactions. Take care! x

• Posted

Switch to bio oestrogen and progesterone. I could not tolerate norethisterone made me grouchy tired

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.