Underactive thyroid and low iron and vitamin D

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on 100mcg thyroxine for about 15 years.  Has alleviated some symptoms but last 3 years I have been feeling so tired, achey joints, breathless, unexplained fever at night. Doctor just says thyroid function fine, are you depressed?  No.  This time I insisted on more tests, so I have low vitamin D low iron, high cholesterol and slightly high blood sugar.  I should mention I am not particularly overweight, eat a healthy diet, have a horse so outside all the time, and have an active lifestyle.  I am going to take high dose Vit D and iron supplements for 3 months..   has anyone else taken these supplements? And do you feel better once levels are normal?

I don't think that taking the Thyroxine actually take all of the symptoms away.  I wish doctors would listen and stop putting all unexplained symptoms down to depression.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi my mum has improved a lot since takin vid d she says she feels much better vid d deficiency can make u feel awful I have underactive thyroid for 12 years now if had bloods done cause I went see my doc about feeling so tired and feeling unwell if been feeling like this for 7 months my doc rang me yesterday said my calcium is very low so if had to get my vid d checked now just waiting for my results iv been in hospital cause I was feeling I'll palpitations weak tired just hope now it is vid d deficiency so I can feel myself again all my family have it
  • Posted

As we age, our bodies do not make Vit D (calcium) as it did when we were young. Normally our bodies absorb sunlight and it converts it into Vit D.  Having low Vit D levels we tend to get muscle tissue loss and our bones become brittle.  Now a few things you need to look at. B-12 is a vitamin in your body and can't be taken in a pill form, but if your B-12 level is low, you can have fatigue and feel awful. It causes an anemia in the body so ask doctor to check your B-12 level. It is not routinely done.  I do not know how old your are, but you may have early menopause symptoms which could explain night fevers and or sweats.  I am an RN.
  • Posted

Hi Nicolas

I have hypothyroidism. Take thyroxine. I too have Vitamin D deficiency. Started high dose vit d 10 days ago. Can't believe the difference. Sleeping like a baby. Muscle and joint pains resolving. Night sweats and restless legs improving. Unbelievable. Hope you have as good a response as I have had. Good luck.

• Posted

HI Nicola,  I am an RN and live in USA.  I have Hashimoto's since I was 27 and I am now 54.  Vit D goes low in Thyroid patients.  It can also go low as we age.  Having low levels of any minerals, is a little like Goldie Locks and the 3 Bears.  If it is too high or too low, the body will react. It has to be in a normal range.  Yes, I have low D. I take supplements.  It helps. Make sure to have your doctor checks you for Lupus & Rheumatoid Arthritis as these can also cause some of the symptoms you mention. Please see a good GP or Endocrinologist and have them check you because night  sweats could be a couple of problems.

A few most common probelms can cause that:

1. Diabetes Untreated

2. TB

3, Menopause (could be early signs)

They can check your estrogen level and check your glucose.  if it stays elevated you will need medication for it.  Please keep a log and take it with you to the doctor's office. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi there, Yes I have taken Vit D and iron for many years and can honestly say I felt better. I have Hashimoto's and Hypothyroidism with Hurthle Cell Adenoma. Surgery in 2007.

One thing that MOST patients fail to understand though is do NOT take ANY medications/vitamins/anything for up to FOUR hours after taking your thyroxine. It will interfere with it and cause you more problems! Oh and do not drink coffee with the thyroxine either.

Having said that, many of us thyroid patients are low on Vit D and B12. Have you had the B12 tested? Make sure you only take the iron for the 3 months as it can build up in the liver and cause more problems. Being a human seems to be a problem, wink

Have you had recent thyroid levels done? You may need to be upping your dose as you age and any changes in weight can require a dose change (either up or down depending) Women as we tend to hit menopause symptoms anywhere up to 5 years before menopause need a dose change as well.

Hope that info helps!

• Posted

Hi I am too like yourself about to start Vitamin D and Iron supplements as I have a severe deficiency in Vitamin D but mild in iron.

You will feel better after this!! I did.

Is there anyone who knows what can cause severe Vitamin D deficiency? If not does anyone know how I can go about finding out why?

Thanks

Lisa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.