Underactive thyroid and now low b12and folic acid

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hiya i was diagnosed with underactive thyroid about 6 months ago should have been 0.1 to 0.4 i was 15....am on 150mg now and levels are good. I had put on a stone had tiredness hot flushes e.t.c...went back to doc two weeks ag as i had numb palms and pins and needles in my fingers as i have high blood pressure thought if better go see doctor..had blood test i have pernicious anemia have to take very high vitamin b12 and folic acid if dont work in month will need injections does anyone else with underactive thyroid have this aswell....didnt know if this is a thing that goes with it....thank you...xxxx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Poodleinyanood

My name is Shell and I am nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Normal TSH is between  0.45 to 4.50 and high end means Hypo & low end  is Hyper.  Doctors like the TSH above 1.0 and lower than 3.5 ideally. 

B-12 can be low for us with HYPO.   They used too injections for it and can do tablets now.  We need the proper levels of vitamins and  minerals in our bodies. Once you reach the level the bad symptoms should stop.

In my younger days at age 25 I had low B-12 also.  I do take a good multivitamin with iron daily.  We can also be  in Vit D after age 30  our bodies produce less from sunlight.  They can test you for that.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you shellyc19....i am still getting used to all of this...i still havent lost the stone i put on but havent put anymore on...and im female 45..just waiting now for the mega tiredness and aching all over to just go away now.xx
    • Posted

Shelly

How does one get the TSH to rise please

Do you or anyone out there know if it is possible to self treat this condition at all?

I assume a low TSH indictes hyperactive thyroid.At what level of TSH would radio active iodine be given?

• Posted

Hi Shelly whoops. Meant to ask you if you know what causes the aching muscles in hyperctive thyroid and why this happens to som people and not to others. Also do you or anyone else know how long it takes for the aches and pains to dissipate?

Sorry for asking so may questions.

TIA

• Posted

Hello Jane:

The TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) acts like a sensor and is influx all the time.  It takes a signal to make more hormone or less hormone from the Pituitary gland in the brain.  If you are on the low side UNDER 0.45 that is Hyperthyroid.   If you are Hyperthyroid you can get Carbimazole to slow the thyroid down.  This medication helps make the TSH rise. If that med does not work, RAI can be used if all else fails but it will kill off the thyroid gland and make you permanently Hypo.  Your thyroid would die because of the radioactive iodine. You have to be careful for a while afterwards and follow strict precautions as you will be radioactive for a while.

If you are HYPO over 4.50  you need replacement thyroid hormone such as Levo to bring the TSH into normal.

Self  treatment is not really a good idea.  Most doctors will give a person a trial of hormone if symptoms are bad. With the Hyper medications you must be monitored carefully.

You can do good thigs by your thyroid by avoiding gluten.  Keep up your immune system healthy by vitamins and diet.  Some people have had good results with a nautropath and taking helpful supplements to support the thyroid and adrenal glands.

I hope this helps you, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Jane:

Muscles ache because our thyroid effects many systems in our body. It controls manythings like our periods, our digestion, our energy and our mood, and works with the liver and pancreas and adrenal gland.  The muscles can ache from too low and too high.  The body lis things just right.  We need proper minerals and vitamins also.

Sometimes we eat poorly or we get junk food and ready made food a lot,  in the food is sodium and gluten.  Both of these can cause problems with the joints and bowel.  High sodium makes you thristy.  Low potassium can also bother the muscles.

Muscles ache because our hormones go off and the tissues in our body start to react to it  Some people get it bad and some get it mild. Vt D is very important to our muscles and bones and after age 30 we make less of it from sunlight because the body just stops turning it into Vit D.  Eating Vt D foods or taking supplements is helpful.  They can test your  Vit D level and can tell from that.  We also need B-12 for good energy and vit B1 also. I take a multivitamin with iron daily and ome Vit D also.

Potassium is also important to cramps in muscles and replaced if low.

So many things can bother the muscles and autoimmune thyroid Graves or Hashimoto's can be harder on the muscle tissue. Some autoimmune diseases can be related to the arthritis family of diseases.

I hope this helps, any questions just ask.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.