Underactive thyroid and sore mouth and throat

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anyone else suffer with sore throat and tender neck with hypothyroidism. I've just been diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and sometimes it feels like my throat is on fire.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

How long have you had the sore throat? What does your physician say about it? Have you had a physical examination of your thyroid gland? It is situated in your neck, so inflammation of some kind could be what you are experiencing. If you have not had it looked at, please do so ASAP.
    • Posted

Hi thankyou for replying. I haven't had a physical examination as such. I was diagnosed through blood test. Just didn't know if a sore throat was a symptom. It's not necessarily sore just feels really weird kind of achey.

• Posted

Well, given that you are hypothyroid and have sore/achy feelings right where your thyroid is, it’s not hard to connect the dots and make an educated guess that it’s your thyroid that’s hurting. I don’t want to scare you, but that is absolutely not something to leave unchecked. Please get back to your doctor for a physical examination.
  • Posted

Yes, except I blamed it on post nasal drip. I wasn't aware it was possible. I have learned there are many SE of Levo not made known. As I have learned these are some of the better known SE: chest pain or discomfort, decreased urine output, difficult or laboured breathing, difficulty swallowing with mucous, dilated neck veins, extreme fatigue, fainting, fast or slow ,irregular,, pounding heart beat or pulse, fever, heat intolerance, hives/welts, increased blood pressure, increased pulse, irregular breathing, irritable, menses change, jaw, back, neck pain, shortness of breathe, itchy skin, rash, redness, sweating, swelling eyes, face, lips, throat or tongue, chest tightness, tremors, blurred vision/double vision, dizziness, eye pain, pain in hip or knee, seizures, severe headache, cold clammy skin, confusion , disorientation, vomiting, weight gain, weight loss. Extensive list to be sure, but not everyone gets everything, but when /if you notice  changes you have some place to start and not automatically think you are having more health issues. It is scary to experience some of these things and practitioners won't always be up front with you or they don't know. Didn't want to scare you, but  all so don't want you to have any surprises and have to search like I had to. Happy Thanksgiving

• Posted

Cathy, Donna was only diagnosed two weeks ago. That is a bit soon for any of your list of side effects to have begun. Besides, I’m betting Donna had the sore neck before she started taking medication. Donna, is that right? Please tell us. And oh by the way, if you are taking synthetic hormone medication, please be aware that most people do just fine on it.

So don’t get distracted by horror stories. Stay focussed on getting that thyroid looked at.

• Posted

Hi yes I did have a bad throat before I started taking any meds. I'm now taking levothyroxine. Think I will go back to GP though just to explain feelings in my throat and neck. Thanks again for your input.

• Posted

My response was straight forward and honest and I never suggested her sx were related to medication, but on that same note I didn't appreciate how the literature printed on medications are blatantly dishonest and plenty of us have had our lives derailed waiting to feel better when it was the medication we were taking because we were told  it was good for us and we needed to be patient when that was what was making us ill. People make better decisions for themselves when they have all the info. and yes a lot of people do well on medication, but there are also a good number of people being treated for disorders that are in fact side effects.

• Posted

Dave,  I think it depends on how advanced the thyroid disease is. If it's very advanced by the time you get a diagnosis, you have advanced autoimmune disease you're dealing with, so that throws a wrench in everything. 

I can only comment on my experience which was that the side effects of the meds were noticeable within the first few days, like o was bedridden.  Within three months, the full range of side effects had kicked in. I'm talking liver lesions, massive water retention, severe anxiety, drastic weight gain.... the list is endless. But my docs didn't take me off the meds, even when it was obvious that my thyroid disease was advancing more rapidly on the meds than before the meds.

It's important to pay attention and keep track of your symptoms so you have a way to track your progress.

The thing you run into is that with thyroid disease, people tend to have a lot of brain fog, so it's best to write things down. That way you can go back and look at things.

• Posted

I have a lot of problems with my neck, and it feels like it's on fire sometimes. This symptom occurred after taking meds but I don't think it's related to the meds because I suspect the burning feeling is caused by environmental factors. When it gets burning hot, I put an ice pack on the back of my neck.

However, I've read that neck injuries, such as with whiplash from car accidents, can contribute to thyroid disease. I've noticed my thyroid symptoms flare drastically after car accidents. (Yep, I live in an urban area and have been hit enough to notice it affects the thyroid). So neck health is important.

Poor neck health can lead to inflammation, which can contribute to low functioning thyroid. The inflammation basically land everything up. 

I've found that icing the back of my neck calms things down quite a bit by reducing the inflammation, allowing things to drain properly, which then results on reduced inflammation in my thyroid gland.

Basically I treat the inflammation. Turmeric and chlorophyll also help reduce inflammation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.