Underactive thyroid and statins

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had an underactive thyroid for approx 25years. Now I have been told I have high cholesterol. The doctor may want me to take statins. I have researched statins and all of them say take extreme care if have underactive thyroid. Is there anyone else in this situation? Have you taken statins and had no effects? I am concerned and don't know whether to take them if offered.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I do take your point, but what you have to remember is that you are under the care of your doctor who has recommended Statins to combat your Cholesterol levels.

Any concerns that you may have regarding the taking of ANY medication should be addressed directly to your doctor and/or to your pharmacist.

Please do not listen to any opinions offered by non-medical personnel as they are very likely to be misleading and not applicable in your circumstances.

• Posted

I am hypothyroid but don't tale statins, however my husband did and hated them. They are of course to protect you against possible heart problems and metabolic syndrome as we all age. Obviously the choice is entirely yours to make. I suggest you book an appointment with your GP, ask for a double slot, that will give you time to have a long chat a out your concerns.
  • Posted

Hello Reeve:

I am an RN -Nurse and I have Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease and I am 54.  I live in the USA,  and I  have high Cholesterol also.  Most of my family has it (Mom & Dad), and my  maternal grandmom lived to be 102 and she had high cholesterol. LOL, she had no meds for it.  A lean diet helps, but we can't always do that in reality.

I do take Lipitor (generic name:  Astrovastin) 10mg and it brought down the bad cholesterol by 50 points.  I take it and have had no major problems. I know that certain people can have a reaction to them which can cause headaches, or muscle aches.  I have not had this.  Today we know more about heart health and what blocks up your arteries, and reducing your cholesterol is important to keeping your coronary arteries clear and less plaque build-up.  You should take it and if you feel any weird side effects, you can let the doctor know and stop it.  The choice is yours!

You need to at least try it, most people have no side effects, but everyone is different. Let us know how you do with it. Shelly

• Posted

Thank you so much Shelly for your views and information. Much appreciated.
  • Posted

Know this is an old post so may get no replies but I also have been taking thyroxine 75mg for the past 25 yrs.  Recently I have been prescribed 10mg statin for highish cholesterol and I am worried to take them as have read you have to be very careful if you have a thyroid problem (my thyroid levels have remained stable the past 20yrs) I have been taking the statin for 5 days now and don’t seem to have any side affects. I know the post above is 2 yrs old but I would be very grateful for any advice concerning this and whether I should stop taking the statin. Many thanks. 
    • Posted

Hi Angela,

I take Levoxyl (100mcg) and have taken it for many years.  I started taking a statin about 2 years ago.  But, I asked my doctor if I could take the statin every other day, and he agreed to that.  I think the half life of a statin is fairly long, so I figured every other day may be okay.  My cholesterol has come down, and my thyroid has stayed stable.  This probably isn't much help, but it's all I have smile

Cheryl

• Posted

Many thanks Cheryl . I have continued to take the statin and so far no side affects. Thank you for your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.