Underactive thyroid constant anxiety help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've suffered with anxiety for years but the last 8 months it's been at its worse! I started cbt still ongoing was doing ok less anxiety then boom it comes back in force! When ur first was bad my underactive thyroid was out of range it was 23 it should be around 0.3 to 5.0 but now I'm feeling anxious and having new symptoms had migraine for a couple of days scalp sensitive over temple googled it worse I could do that's frightened me, and now I feel like I'm being fobbed off saying it just anxiety can anxiety make u feel so different? Like you r not yourself and then feeling like that makes me feel as if there could be something wrong

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

It's horrific. From my experience anxiety can do that, it's crippling, but you have to ignore the best you can and don't answer the questions in your head

• Posted

I try to and it was working I felt as I have taken 10 steps forward and 11 back I keep feeling really hot like having flushes and it's worrying me

• Posted

Are you on thyroid medication? Symptoms from that can be worse than anxiety. I just went on thyroid meds a couple of days ago and can expect the horrific symptoms to be gone in less that three weeks.

Actually, my doctor will not address another problem I have until my thyroid is stablized.

• Posted

Yeah I'm on 100mg I suggested to the doc could it be the med she said no that's ridiculous to suggest that

• Posted

I don't know much about this as I'm new to it. What med are you on, and how long have you been on it? Am I assuming correctly that you are on meds for under active..right?

• Posted

Carlie, If you answer this, I might be able to help.
    • Posted

You didn't say how long! I am on the same med. Yesterday you said you are on 100mg, and here you say 200mg. That's a big difference!!! Which is it, please.

I have had zero side effects and was told it would take three to four weeks to get my thyroid back to normal.

• Posted

Sorry that was a typo I'm on 100mg I've been on that for about 3 months now my thyroid now is 5.6 which is normal range

• Posted

Thanks Carlie. Yes, indeed you are in the normal range. congratulations. That's what i was trying to find out. Soooo, it looks like you are dealing with anxiety. You will get some good advice and ideas here, Hugs

• Posted

Thanx cia42277 yes I feel tho it might be creeping up again! Keep getting hot flashes and then they panic me anxiety is so horrible
  • Posted

Yes anxiety can cause all kinds of horrific symptoms. I thought I was dying. I'm on medication now but I went to the hospital because my heart beating out of my chest and my body going numb and got real hot and dizzy and the lights got very bright and thought I would pass out. Everything was ok with my heart and blood work though. I finally had to accept that it was indeed anxiety and that it is causing all these horrific thoughts and symptoms because I thought something was seriously wrong with me. Are you on any thyroid medicine though? Thyroid complications can throw off the chemical balance in the brain and cause anxiety and panic attacks. My mom had thyroid issues until they finally removed it and she developed anxiety and panic attacks as well.

• Posted

Hi I'm on meds I no how u feel I have been hospital 3 times in the last couple of months started cbt felt as it was under control but it's back ??

• Posted

Hey there Masissa,

May I ask what medication u are taking ? I am really wanting to start medication as all the natural supplementation doesn't seem to be working. Like last night I felt sick all night and my throat was all choked up! Now I can feel it is getting worse prob because I am worried again while reading about anxiety, blah sad What thyroid medication do u recommend ? Sory to hear about your mum! Hope you're kay x

• Posted

My doc prescribed my thyroid medication have u had your thyroid tested?
    • Posted

Hi amba02971, right now my moms thyroid is level it usually does that after it's been removed hers has been level for 8 years now but eventually she will have to go on medication for it. My grandmas after hers was surgically removed her hormone stayed level for 7 years after then she went on a natural thyroid medication by Armor Thyroid. (Have to ask your doctor about it) to control anxiety and panic attacks my mom and I are both on Venlafaxine. My mom takes 150mg and right now I'm on 75 mg. Venlafaxine has worked amazing for me and my mom. I have tried Xanax,Wellbutrin,Buspar, and Paxil and non have worked like Venlafaxine has. As for my thyroid mine is fine right now but I have suffered from health anxiety and panic attacks since I was 16 which is when I was first diagnosed with it. It still scares the hell out of me though and I always think something is wrong when really there isn't nothing wrong. I just naturally have a chemical imbalance in my brain. My moms came on from her thyroid and my grandma suffered from anxiety and panic attacks also from her thyroid. So yes Thyroid complications will throw off your chemical imbalance and cause panic attacks and anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.