underactive thyroid / low calcium

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi hope someone can help me if been feeling I'll for months now had bloods done docs rang me yesterday to say my calcium is low so e has now sent me to have my vid d checked does any one else have this

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel, have you been on the thyroid patient advocacy website yet?  It's a great site for posting questions about all manner of thyroid issues.  I'm afraid I can't offer any insight myself but you might get a well informed response from some of the lovely people at thyroid patient advocacy.  I'm not allowed to put the website details here, but just google thyroid patient advocacy.  Join up and then post a message on the forum and I'm sure you'll get a timely response.  Best wishes, kerry
    • Posted

Hi Kerry thanks for your reply I will have a look thanks for the info 😊
  • Posted

As we age we do not make Vitamin D from just sunlight absorbed via our skin. Vit D is calcium and  we lose this as we age.  You may need to take Calcium  tablets. Having low thyroid can have an effect on this.  Many women have this problem, myself included. Replacing Vit D, will keep your bones strong.
    • Posted

Hi shelly I'm still waiting for my vid d results doc Said if vid d comes back ok then il just need the calcium tablets do you know if the low calcium can make u feel I'll as iv had low calcium for 8 months but doc didn't give me anything b4 but now it's dropped again
  • Posted

The Vitamin D level blood test can take about a week to come back. Taking the Vit D will prevent having brittle bone sydrome that many women suffer from as they age. Osteoporosis is the name of the condition and women who get that are hunched over and the spine bends and I am sure you have seen women like that. you can take Vitamin D in pill form or get the IV form of it but I recommend the pills since IV bolus routes can have nausea side effects. I also have low D level.  I am an RN in USA but it is the same in UK. They now know women lose Vit D and it can be replaced.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info it means a lot my mum and grandmother have low vid d I have noticed I have a slight hump on my back

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.