Underarm pain which won't go away . Any advice ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Help needed if anyone can advise anything.

Mid November I started with a burning feeling under my right armpit . A week later I went to see the nurse , she didn't examine me just said get a better bra .

Week after went to see a walk in nurse she said my right armpit seemed swollen and to go to GP . She gave me antibiotics to try but these did nothing .

Few days later went to GP he examined me and said it's a strain and gave me naproxen . Made no difference.

By this time pain was worse and right breast ached. I found a lump near the ribs which ached when pressed.

Went back to doctors and referred to breast clinic . Mammogram clear , ultrasound of lump showed it was fat.

Relived and thought pain would go.

By now still have armpit pain and moves round to shoulder blades which feel tender when pressed on. Breast sometimes tender, ribs sometimes sore , chest near sternum aches and a pins and needles feelings down arm to wrist.

Went back to GP chest x-ray clear and bloods only showed CRP at 12.

GP said it's a strain anything else would have showed .

Sometimes when I hold my arms straight the sore side feels swollen but doesn't look it.

Ribs feel tight when breathing in.

I've been measuring it and no change.

All the pain is still there . No worse no better

Could this seriously be. A strain ?

So worried they have missed something .

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I to have had armpit pain for 8 weeks now. My mammograms were reported as normal, as well as an ultrasound. Dr. Prescribed Prednisone for inflammation. Did not help. Pain radiates into my rt. breast as well as feels like a stinging or burning in both breasts. Getting very frustrated. It's better during the day with my bra on and gets worse at night after being active. It never really goes away. I've been inquiring about a MRI but dr. doesn't seem to be to keen on that. Think maybe I should insist on seeing a breast surgeon. I feel for ypu. No fun.

• Posted

Just noticed you posted this 5 months ago. Did your problem get resolved? Hope so.
    • Posted

Hi Linda. It took about 5 months but it went on its own .my GP were probably right about a strain button worrying shun it's on that area

• Posted

Were they talking about a muscle strain? Did you have any physical symptoms on the armpit itself? I'm going through something very similar right now. My pain went away for a while and then came back after another self exam. Doctors don't seem to be worried either and keep pushing it off because of my age. 

• Posted

Hiya no physical symptoms to see on the armpit they just insisted the pain would go as it was strained and it did. It took a long time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.