Undercorrection of bunionectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know if anybody has had Scarf Bunionectomy done and has been under corrected. If so is it possible to have Atkins procedure done after and how long would you have to wait. I really hope this isn't my case but I have been doing some research lately and have to consider this. I am worried so have booked an appointment with my GP on Monday. I really don't want to go through it all again.cry

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi jazzy

I discussed having the skins done with my surgeon and he confirmed it can be done separately after scarf osteotomy. He explained they lengthen the original incision into the toe and perform the surgery using a staple to fix it. He said it is relatively small procedure. However he advised I wait till I am fully healed before considering. My toe has definitely improved with bunion brace. I am now in normal shoe (well fitflops). I am hoping it us tissue swelling and I won't have to have it done, and now I am thinking it will be ok.

I have read that under correction can happen and further surgery may need to be performed depending on individual. My foots appearance improves every day . Alot if the hard skin has come off but my foot looks slot bigger than my left with all the swelling to go down yet. It also looks purply when I put I down but goes back to normal colour when I elevate. I am now 6 weeks post op.

I think u r right to discuss further. Dud u speak again to the surgeon who performed op. I go

O back in January for 12 week check so hoping i will know then how my toe will finally look.

There is a good video on you tube showing the scarf and akin op. Google it then look under videos.

• Posted

Hi Sheila,

Thanks ever so much for your reply. That helps me a lot and actually makes me feel better too. To know that others have actually considered this too. Like you I hope I don't have to do it but I might have to if it doesn't look any better. Still early days but will show my GP on Monday and see what she thinks. I was actually discharged from hospital at 4 weeks post op so if she thinks it might be under correction she will have to refer me back. I don't know how to feel right now really. sad

• Posted

Hi Jazzy.  Yes indeed it does happen.  I had a Chevron osteotomy and my big toe, which had been pushing my second toe and caused a hammertoe, started to drift materially to left as soon as my removable pin came out at 5 weeks.  By 8 weeks it was pressing on the 2nd toe enough to hamper that toes healing.  I had the Akin procedure done separately at 16 weeks post op and each week until then it leaned more and more.  The Akin did the trick, I am elated with the result and indeed is a much easier procedure to recover from.  I had it done by a different surgeon with the minimally invasive technique (keyhole) and I didn't even need ibuprofen and was walking flat footed in a post op right away.  
    • Posted

Top left is foot at 16 wks. post op and on left is post  Akin.
    • Posted

Correction:  Top right is 8 weeks post 1st op.  Top left is 16 weeks.  Bottom right is post Akin.
    • Posted

Thank you for this Rene amazing result. Mine is not so bad but not as straight as I had hoped. It did improve with bunion brace. And I had fusion if 2nd toe which may keep it in line I already had hammer toe pre op. Is encouraging that yr second op was successful.

If you don't mind me asking why did u go to different surgeon?

• Posted

The original surgeon actually said he did not like doing Akin as dealing with a smaller bone it is trickier and more open to problems (his words).  I got from that  that he must have had a bad experience with it, possibly has not had that much experienc with it and I was reluctant to go to someone who does not particularly like doing a procedure.  I chose a second surgeon who has been doing this proceduire, amongst others, for 30 years.  I fully understand and accept that not all surgeons like to or feel comfortable doing all procedures and tend to choose the procedures they like best to do.
    • Posted

Wow Rena,

Absoloutely AMAZING results!!!!

Trying to be a bit positive now. Thanks sooooo much for that.Can I just ask did you have your surgery done under nhs or privately?

• Posted

I'm in Canada.  The first surgery was done under our government medical system similar to your NHS

The second surgery I went privately as I wanted the minimally invasive technique and they don't do that under our government Healthcare system.  I would not have gone for second surgery just for aesthetic reasons...needed it to get that darn big toe  away from interfering with my second toe.

• Posted

Thank you Rene for Sharing yr experience is

Encouraging for us and I am so happy you finally had positive result.

• Posted

I seriously think mine is not right, my toe still looks curved and is most definetly is not straight sad
    • Posted

Think we're in the same boat.  Like I said we've got to hang in there and think positive. We have to address our concerns though. We've been through too much to just let it be. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.