Undergo bronchoscopy or no

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 61y/o, diagnosed 30yrs ago, with continous cough all throughout my life and occassional hemop but working actively And living normally with my family. Was taking antibiotic ocassionally but never got confinement bec of the disease. Was advise resently to do bronchoscopy. Should i agree? Am afraid my condition will deteriorate. Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Motherbird,

I have had numerous bronchoscopies over the last 18 yrs. It's done as a result of not being able to get all the mucus up (causing infections) and therefore, reduces my lung function and lowers my oxygen intake. I'm 68 yrs old female that have had lung issues since my late 30s. I was diagnosed with Bronchiestasis, by way of a CT scan about 7 yrs ago.

Have you had an x-ray or CT scan done? That can tell a doctor a lot. Sounds like they want to do it as an exploratory procedure. In my case, it was to suction all the mucus out of my lungs. Sounds like they will just have a camera to explore your lungs and look for anything of concern.

I've never had a bad result after the procedure, just a minor sore throat. And I have always been put completely under, so I don't know or feel a thing. 

Beth

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.I just got my ct scan showing moderate severity bronchiectasis. My sputum got candida which the doctor said is negligible , negative for ptb  but with norcadia species which the doctor are doubtful so they want to do biopsy.in case i will not agree with it , my doctors plan is to give septrin for 6 months
  • Posted

I can second the "put completely under and didn't know a thing" part. I've had 10+ bronchoscopies and they've all been fine in terms of procedure--they let your pulmonologist suction out gunk, administer meds, and do biopsies (I have a big issue with hemoptysis, so I get wash biopsies instead of punch ones, so I don't bleed unnecessarily). I've never had anything afterward except a sore throat and a mild congested feeling, and it's a very short procedure,  so if you've been advised to have one, I'd say look into it.

• Posted

Sorry motherbird

I have not got experience of this so you’ll get better answers from others.

However ,I wish you well whatever you decide.

• Posted

I signed up to these forums in December as I was going to post as I was feeling fed up and sorry for myself.

I was diagnosed last year and had a bronchoscopy in November when I was admitted into hospital with my bx.  I wished I had the experience of other posters but sadly not. I’d heard one lady on my wards unpleasant experience so I was very very nervous, consultant told me I’d be sedated and unaware so assumed the lady on ward was exaggerating.  She wasn’t.  The camera part was fine it was the numb throat I struggled with, I’d been told I may feel gagging, I wasn’t told I’d feel like I’m being suffocated.  My head knew I was breathing but it felt awful.  I wasn’t warned about that. Once I’d calmed down I was fully aware of everything happening and watched the procedure on the monitor.  

All three patients on my ward had bronchoscopy and had same experience.  I’m not sure if north east uk don’t like giving proper sedatives or something but I do wish I’d been told about the feeling of not being able to breath. 

I’d have it done again and now I know what to expect I won’t be panicked.  Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope I haven’t scared you, I just wanted to let you know my experience.  

• Posted

Hi again motherbird

I have just read cloudy’s post.

i didn’t mention it earlier, but I had the exact same experience with an endoscopy many years ago.  That’s where they go into your digestive system in case you weren’t aware.

It was the worst thing I’d ever had done to me and I was sedated!!!!

Having said that, I had another one done about 3 years ago and again I was sedated.

I didn’t feel a thing and came to after what seemed like 30 seconds.

My very experienced consultant did the second one but I think it was probably a junior doctor who did the first one.

So I guess it may depend on who does the procedure ( the bronchoscopy  I’m talking about now)

If you decide to go for it, check who’s going to be doing it and how many others he or she has done. Then talk to them to see if they can allay your fears.  That’s what I did second time around with my endoscopy and I was OK.

All the best, if you go for it.

• Posted

I live in the states, so things are done differently here. I get the impression that in the UK. patients are given only sedation when having a bronchoscopy.  That has got to be uncomfortable, plus nerve racking to be aware of what they are doing.
  • Posted

I had a bronchoscopy and just had a mild sedative, so I was aware of what they were doing, but felt relaxed and a little spaced out. It meant that I was able to get up straightaway afterwards. No after effects, just a very slightly sore throat.

It seems to be the luck of the draw how well it's performed. I'm certainly not put off having another one if I need it.

• Posted

I'm 64, I had one, it was okay.Mine was a wash also, since I also have a rare bleeding disorder.

• Posted

Hi Motherbird 

Please don’t worry that a scope will affect your condition in a negative way - I’ve had 2 , the 1st was over 16yrs ago which confirmed ABPA and I was then prescribed treatment accordingly, the 2nd scope was around 2yrs ago and Bronchiectasis was revealed (caused by the aspergillus allergy) - on both occasions I was unaware of the whole procedure thanks to a sedative injection........simply woke up in recovery with a sore throat , was later given a mug of tea, egg mayo sandwich and a lovely cold yogurt 😊 by a smiley nurse. My daughter collected me a couple of hours later and I slept like a baby that night (thanks to the sedative).  

These tests are necessary to see what is lurking in our lungs then once a diagnosis is made ,the correct treatment can be prescribed. 

Good Luck 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.