understand the blood test

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all,

can you please explain some meanings of below listed ?

blood test results as under :

serum choesterol/HDL ratio    4.9           0.00 - 4.00

what is serum cholesterol ? 

why it is written like '' serum cholesterol/HDL ratio '' ?

what sort of food produces such cholesterol ?

need your help professionals ..

thank you in advance .

J

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'll pm you the link where I found this

Total blood (or serum) cholesterol 

Your total cholesterol score is calculated using the following equation: HDL + LDL + 20 percent of your triglyceride level. A total cholesterol score of less than 180 mg/dL is considered optimal.

• Posted

thanks mrsmop. 

it means, in my case. it is 4.9 which is higher than the limits from 0.00 -4.00. which made me worry now. any ideas or suggestions please to reduse the number in the limits ?

please advise.

thanks

• Posted

As with a lot of things, your levels will probably fluctuate and they might have been up when you had your blood test but back down now.  Those levels don't appear to be particularly high.  Why don't you telephone your GP's surgery and speak to the Practice Nurse, she'll be able to tell you whether you are within normal limits.

If the doctors are concerned, they will re-do the test.

Try not to read something into it that isn't there.

• Posted

Ok I will contact gp and will discuss further later.

Thanks for your help.

• Posted

Good luck!  I would be interested to know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.