Understanding and answers to low eGFR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm 31, relatively healthy, correct weight etc and about 8 months ago I had routine bloods taken at my GP.  All were fine except an alarming eGFR of 65.  A urine test identified no trace of protein though

My GP had the tests repeated the following week and eGFR had risen slightly to 67.  Again, a urine test identified no protein in my urine.  He gave me the option of going back for more tests in 3 months or being referred to a Nephrologist. I opted to go and see Nephrologist in hospital.

On my first visit to the Nephrologist my eGFR had risen to 69. The urine test again showed no protein in my urine.  A subsequent 24hr urine collection also came back normal.  I was told I would likely be discharged at my next appt 3 months later.

At my next visit my eGFR had risen to 78 now.  All other blood readings within normal ranges and again no protein in my urine.  I was told I would be discharged at my next appt.

Last week I had my latest appt and my eGFR had risen to 79.  Again no protein in my urine however I have been kept on to see the Nephrologist again in another 6 months.  I asked her what was going on and she sad she didn't know but was told to drink 2 litres of water per day which I do anyway as I don't drink tea or coffee.  I'm led to believe that a low eGFR would be reflected by a corresponding urine test but this doesn't seem to be happening in my case.

Just want to add that my BP is always around 125 to 135 systolic and under 80 diastolic.  I also should advise that I have had a an ultrasound and kidneys look to be functioning fine, are correct size and I have 2.  Only small complication was bladder wasn't totally emptying but was described as only a bit of retention.  I also have a varicule/epididimal cyst.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on please?  I've got another 6 months of worry and think my Nephroligist still won't know what is going on.

Thanks in advance.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

David

Firstly, I'm not a medic, just someone with a low eGFR who has had one kidney for very many years, so have picked up a lot of (useless!) information!

Reduced kidney function usually corresponds with an increased Creatinine level, but it appears that all your other blood tests have been normal.  The eGFR test was introduced in the belief that it was a better marker of problems than the Creatinine clearance test alone.

The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) suggests only reporting actual results once values are < 60="" ml/min="" (they="" state="" normal="" values="" as="" 90-120="" ml/min).="" an="" egfr="" below="" 60="" ml/min="" suggests="" that="" some="" kidney="" damage="" has="" occurred.="" the="" national="" kidney="" foundation="" (nkf)="" suggests="" only="" reporting="" actual="" results="" once="" values="" are="">< 60 ml/min (they state normal values as 90-120 ml/min). an egfr below 60 ml/min suggests that some kidney damage has occurred.

so your earlier reading of 65, now improved to 79, does sound as though you may not have much to be concerned about, especially if your egfr continues to creep up.  i suspect the concern is raised because you are still very young - egfr often decreases as we age.

i'm wondering whether at any time just prior to the test revealing an egfr of 65 you may have taken a nsaid such as ibuprofen for any length of time or whether you had any underlying infection/virus going on?  certainly nsaids, especially taken over a considerable period of time, can adversely affect the kidneys.

hope this helps in some small way but meanwhile try not to worry too much, and if you need reassurance at any time, then i'm sure your gp will happily repeat the egfr etc blood tests for you without having to wait another 6 months for your nephrology appointment.  all the very best.

60="" ml/min="" (they="" state="" normal="" values="" as="" 90-120="" ml/min).="" an="" egfr="" below="" 60="" ml/min="" suggests="" that="" some="" kidney="" damage="" has="" occurred.="" so="" your="" earlier="" reading="" of="" 65,="" now="" improved="" to="" 79,="" does="" sound="" as="" though="" you="" may="" not="" have="" much="" to="" be="" concerned="" about,="" especially="" if="" your="" egfr="" continues="" to="" creep="" up.=""  i="" suspect="" the="" concern="" is="" raised="" because="" you="" are="" still="" very="" young="" -="" egfr="" often="" decreases="" as="" we="" age.="" i'm="" wondering="" whether="" at="" any="" time="" just="" prior="" to="" the="" test="" revealing="" an="" egfr="" of="" 65="" you="" may="" have="" taken="" a="" nsaid="" such="" as="" ibuprofen="" for="" any="" length="" of="" time="" or="" whether="" you="" had="" any="" underlying="" infection/virus="" going="" on?=""  certainly="" nsaids,="" especially="" taken="" over="" a="" considerable="" period="" of="" time,="" can="" adversely="" affect="" the="" kidneys.="" hope="" this="" helps="" in="" some="" small="" way="" but="" meanwhile="" try="" not="" to="" worry="" too="" much,="" and="" if="" you="" need="" reassurance="" at="" any="" time,="" then="" i'm="" sure="" your="" gp="" will="" happily="" repeat="" the="" egfr="" etc="" blood="" tests="" for="" you="" without="" having="" to="" wait="" another="" 6="" months="" for="" your="" nephrology="" appointment.=""  all="" the="" very="" best.="">

so your earlier reading of 65, now improved to 79, does sound as though you may not have much to be concerned about, especially if your egfr continues to creep up.  i suspect the concern is raised because you are still very young - egfr often decreases as we age.

i'm wondering whether at any time just prior to the test revealing an egfr of 65 you may have taken a nsaid such as ibuprofen for any length of time or whether you had any underlying infection/virus going on?  certainly nsaids, especially taken over a considerable period of time, can adversely affect the kidneys.

hope this helps in some small way but meanwhile try not to worry too much, and if you need reassurance at any time, then i'm sure your gp will happily repeat the egfr etc blood tests for you without having to wait another 6 months for your nephrology appointment.  all the very best.

>

• Posted

Hi, as Mrs O has said I don't think you have anything to worry about. Sometimes being on tablets or having a slight infection can affect the results. I had a low result that surprised my GP and after investigation it was found to be ibrobrufen as a following test showed a higher level. 79 is a good number as anything below 60 is when they would investigate. Try not to worry if you can,the scan showed normal kidneys. It's easy to let things take over,so follow your GP advice.
  • Posted

Hi David,

I wouldn't worry about your GFR it's quite high.  3 years ago mine dropped to 26 and after a quick visit to my neph. he found my sudden decrease was due to taking diclofenac and ow can't have anything with an antiinflamatory in it. Were you taking any medication at the time your GFR dropped. My GFR has slowly increased to 44 now and am hap with this.  I only ave to see my neph. again if it falls below 40.

My advice is toreadthe labels on any medication and ask if it will affect your kidneys.  Also don't worry about your GFR as it is not low. Good luck

Doreen

• Posted

Hi all,

Thank you for your quick replies. They have given me some assurance as I still consider myself (others wouldn't!) as fairly young to have a low eGFR.

My GP did ask about both sustained Ibuprofen and cocaine use.  I have never really used Ibuprofen and have never used cocaine.

I'm hoping it may be some undiagnosed infection or virus that is slowly going and see some good news that eGFR is gradually rising although by only 1 point in 6months.  I may not wait 6 months and may ask my GP in 3 months for a blood test for reassurance.

The only other thing I can think of is in my late teens I was on Ruacutane/acutane for severe acne and had to have regular blood tests to check my kidneys/liver.  Nothing was reported at the time and over the last ten years or so I cant remember many other blood tests to compare with.

Anyway, i'm taking my nephrologists advice and uping my water intake even more and starting everyday as soon as i wake with a large glass of water - she stated this will help?  I'm also going to up my training to get a little fitter.

Once again, thank you for your help and advice.

• Posted

David

You could just get your medical records checked and ask what the kidney function results were during the time you were on Ruacutane just to rule that out.

Yes, drinking plenty of water is the best thing for the kidneys, and always drink water alongside any alcohol.

If ever you have to have any MRI/CT scans in the future, always tell them you've had a kidney issue in the past - there is one dye that is harmful to the kidneys whilst the other is considered fairy safe.

I do wish you well and do come back and let us know how you gt on. 

• Posted

A GFR of 65 is normal, a Nephrologist will not take you seriously unless you have both blood and protein in your urine. You will be automatically discharged.
  • Posted

Hi David

Your situation sounds exactly the same as mine. Can i ask whats happened since you posted this ? i also have a gfr of 65 and am only 34 .

• Posted

Hi Tim,

eGFR crept up again on next visit to my Neph.  He went to book me in for a return visit in 6 month and then said ‘no, you actually haven’t got kidney disease’  and discharged me.

I’ve had unrelated blood tests again since and eGFR had crept up again to near normal levels.  I’m putting it down to a virus or infection that took some time to clear.

My advice would be to keep drinking steady amounts of water. That with a 15min walk everyday would change a lot of people.

• Posted

Similar boat here too Tim. I'm not quite as young, I'm 48, but had low gfr reported during recent ER visit. It went down to 57. After that incident I went and checked my bloodwork from past couple of years and it was 68 the first year and then dipped down to 65 the following year or so. My GP seems to think I have nothing to worry about but Im not convinced. Have you had any blood work done since the last reading of 65, if you don't mind my asking? I've been told anything above 60 is acceptable but I don't understand that at all. How is 60 percent functionality considered okay? I don't get it.

• Posted

There is an alternative blood test for kidney function called Cystatin C, and some researchers believe it is more reliable.  After getting the result back, there are online calculators to help determine eGFR based on the result if it's not included by the lab.  With the exception of a few states, people can order their own blood tests online; prices vary by company.  Just do a Google search.  These online testing companies will use either LabCorp or Quest Diagnostics.  They have blood draw stations throughout the U.S.  Sometimes only one or the other is available in a particular city. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.