Understanding ptsd

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi im new to this to bear with me,

a few years ago i met up with a chilhood friend whom id known since about 12 yrs old, he lived in australia, he was here on a visit and anyways we started something, everything was amazing he was my best friend aswell as my soulmate, he came back to scotland a few times to see me, we made plans to have a future together, he enquired about jobs here he even got his passport back to move back here, there were a few dramas along the way etc we spoke every day all day facetimes every day, then he started pulling away from me for no reason so i asked what was wrong after a long time with lots of times of me ranting i finally got that he had been diagnosed with ptsd, im not sure of the trigger all i know if his job of being a paramedic and fireman he has seen a lot of things, he used to tell me some stuff, now hes like a different person completelty, this was about 10 months ago he had a breakdown, ang gioing from what we were to what it is now is horrendous, iv tried so many times to reach him and the rejection kills me, all i want is him to explain what changed, if im wasting my time or not but he jsit closes off from me everytime i mention anything of the heart, it hurts i cant help him i think if he was near me it would be better but he just shuts off from me can anyone give me some advice how to deal, i love him so much like no other and have tried to many times to switch off from him but i cant, i knek hes not on medication but does see a cousellor now and again, im happy to wait forever but he cant give me anythjng we still talk everyday but its very platonic and if it gets personal in any way he shuts off again its killing me

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

hi lamb, poor you! i think that it's terribly sad that he has pulled away from you because of all that he has going on. i am the sufferer of PTSD in this relationship and all i know is it is really tough to live with especially if you are the partner of that person. you need to give him lots of time, be really patient and know this is not your fault. let him approach you. leave him without support completely for a little while. i wish you both luck. good luck. PTSD cuts through both people.

• Posted

thankyou for replying, im at a loss these days and its so hard when hes not here to talk face to face either, im trying to understand it all, until he tells me to leave him alone or he doesnt love me i will keep fighting for him, x

• Edited

you poor bugger, i know how you feel as i had a complete meltdown about my past yesterday and ended up in tears. PTSD is damn tough to live with and support someone going through it! i am now on my 3rd lot of counseling for this. it really hits you when you least expect it! good luck to you and if you need support ask your doctor. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.