Underwear

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was wondering what kind of underwear is most comfortable.  I get a lot of raw chafed areas along where the legs to my panties rub against my skin.  These areas will quickly turn into flare ups.   Would  the ladies boxers work?

I don't know.  Any advice or experience?   

Thanks!  Barbara

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I wear cotton loose pants when going out but at home I wear none under a skirt or lounger around the house. Unless you wear slacks around the house no need for undies! You must never use soap or tight underwear or anything but cotton. Allow the area to breathe as much as possible. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice!!  The problem with me going without is that I also have bladder leakage and have to wear a pad all the time.  If I didn't I would be changing clothes all the time and cleaning furniture!!   So I need thin, non-binding underwear.
  • Posted

Hi,

totally agree with kathleen.  Use water only to wash with (unless a washing cream is prescribed) and choose knickers with smooth seems at the top of the leg.  Anything else can feel like wearing a hacksaw blade.  I can get away with cotton blends, but I agree that as much ventilation as possible is advisable.  Keep the area dry but moist (if that doesn't seem like a contradiction).  I dry myself with a hairdrier after washing, then use prescribed moisturiser such as Double Base Gel. It seems to work - at the moment. 

• Posted

I also have bladder leakage problem.  Tried all the natural routes with non-bleach pads (horrible cardboard like things).  My most comfortable attire is:- Big knickers, cotton only with no lace trim.  I wear pads but I change them as soon as they get slightly soiled.  I wash with Epaderm and use this after every pee.  Wash after every movement and reapply the Epaderm as a moisturiser.  I only ever wear cotton/linen trousers which are always loose as these prevent the rubbing at the top of my legs which makes the area generally sore.  I do not go commando for obvious reasons, not even at night.  If I start itching or get sore I immediately use Chlobetasol (Dermovate) 0.05% ointment (not cream) pea size, (it spreads very well)  Use this daily for a few days then alternate days then keep reducing frequency until I feel no recurrance. My consultant told me that it does not thin as most people think, it is so weak that the area which is used to renewing itself and is a lot tougher than most people think.  (Think about the friction it has to cope with). I use Epaderm all the time allowing the dermovate at least 1 hour to work on the advice of my consultant before using the Epaderm. You will be able to adjust things to suit yourself.  Some advocate diet as a big help.  I must admit I find citrus fruits tend to aggravate things.  Drink plenty to keep your urine week as I am certain that makes things worse. 

I would think ladies boxers might make things worse, but hey you will discover what works for some doesn't work for others and vice versa.  You have to try for yourself.  I'm wondering if real silk is an option.  Now that's a thought!!! good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for all the advice, Chrisy!   I've noticed that different people try different things.  It's just so great to be able to discuss things with someone.  You just can't talk about this anybody.   I may change my cleanser and see if I notice any difference.  I use Nutrogena sensitive skin cleanser now and thought it was okay.   again, thanks for taking the time to reply.  
  • Posted

I guess anything cotton. but boxers would work. I often don't wear any as it is more comfortable but this makes me feel under dressed
  • Posted

Having to wear a pad makes it very hard on you because the skin does not like that. No way round it? Talk to your GP!
    • Posted

I mentioned it to my Gyno years ago and was told it's just part of getting older.  (sigh)  I take lasix and have to go quite often, which doesn't  help matters. 
    • Posted

I find that if I change the pad every slight leakage (I know expensive) I find the pad can actually protect me slightly from rubbing by trousers and is of benefit.  I had to find a way to cope with everything. We all find different ways to deal with this.
  • Posted

Barbara-I have the same problem with the elastic leg band of underwear and cannot wear them so I checked online and found some through Amazon. They are a cotton underwear with mid-thigh length legs. I'm a plus(h)-sized woman and they work quite well. Like others have said I wear none at home, but when I have to go out these 'bloomers' do the trick.

• Posted

I made myself a dozen copies of my favourite panties, so any home sewers might think about that. I happened to have a bolt of very thin, soft 100% cotton jersey. My main point is that the elastic I bought for the legs is clear silicone NOT RUBBER. All my life I've gotten periodic boils in mt groin right on the panty line. The ones I made are the most comfortable ever. I think at this point if I hadn't been able to sew I would have gone for long-legged cotton knit panties.
  • Posted

I am having the same problem, and it is reassuring that this is not unique to me.  The thing that annoys me though is there is nothing out there for women that does not include elastic next to the skin except for synthetic materials and usually hipsters which are not suitable for the older slightly overweight woman.  I do possibly have a latex allergy as I got a rash once when wearing ski pants with a rubberised ankle, so elastic is probably not suitable for me anyway.  there are many people with a latex allergy, so what do they do?

I have had to resort to wearing mens cotton boxers shorts.  

• Posted

Have you tried the men's cotton knit boxers? They can be as close-fitting as panties. I would think old fashioned cotton boxers would be kind of bunchy with that big crotch gusset.
  • Posted

Thanks Barbara, yes that's what I have got.  

I just find it hard to believe that no consideration is given to this for women's clothing.  All they seem to care about is fashionable sexy underwear for young people.  

• Posted

Well, we can hardly get doctors to pay attenion to LS, much less the fashion industry. We get our prescription, then we're on our own, other than getting checked out for 'bad cells' twice a year. That's why I'm on this forum!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.