Underwent Cystoscopy today

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 59 y/o male and had a cystoscopy today - yes i was apprehensive and nervous despite reading much on here before hand - but it really was a walk in the park.  The worst part is the administration of the local anesthetic gel and even that was no big deal and only a very minor discomfort  The procedure  from dropping my trousers/ pants , local anesthetic , camera tube in/out was less than 5 minutes and my bladder was completely clear.

During the procedure  water was inserted into the bladder via the camera tube after which the doc told me to empty my bladder as soon as the procedure was finished. About 5-10mins afterwards i again felt an urge to pee urgently , but there was nothing there - only a slight burning sensation in my urethra I  attempted to have a pee - apparently that's the effect of the anesthetic gel some of which remains in the urethra.  For anyone worried about the prodecure then dont be - as someone mentioned on here , a scale and polish at the dentist is worse. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Choo Choo everyone is different ! I went through hell with mine a few of us have narrowing of the uretha and its then a whole new ballgame
  • Posted

l had a level of  discomfort when l had cystoscopy, though didnt compare with the condition and symptoms leading me to have a cystoscopy, which diagnosed intersticial cystitus, an inflammatory condition of the bladder urethra, and  relief to know after years of not knowing cause of symptoms. l think the level of discomfort problem is often due to how much inflammation you have when a cysoscopy is done. l think if your skin anywhere is normal and healthy it being prodded or rubbed against wont cause problems, but if its inflammed, or even bleeding with pin point hemmoraghes as with ic.  it will cause pain and discomfort. l,m due for cystoscopy soon, after l0yrs since lst, dread it a bit, but need to know state of bladder due to symptoms. Go with an open mind knowing its needed for a diagnosis, you were lucky.
  • Posted

But when I said it hurt like crazy they did find two tumors so no pain no gain !

I went in to have them removed last week and am now recovering from this (cannot sit for long) and am waiting to find out if the tests on the tumor are in my favore

• Posted

Hi stu, sorry my last post was in reply to choo choo, re being lucky in having a easy painless cystoscopy.  As stated at least theyve found the cause of symptoms, good luck with your results.
  • Posted

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! I had a cystoscopy yesterday and it was horrifying.  Last night I had a nightmare reliving the procedure and still have a throbbing urethra today.  When I urinate, it feels like I'm passing shards of glass.  EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! 
  • Posted

sorry, in no way did i mean to detract from anybody else's unpleasant experience of this procedure.  The reason for my cystoscopy was that in mid January I developed a pulmonary embolism in my left lung and I was prescribed  rivaroxaban as an anticoagulant to prevent a re-occurrence. Unfortunately one of the side effects of rivaroxaban can be internal bleeding and a few days after I started taking it, I started passing blood for 3 days every time I  peed which really freaked me out !!!   - however they could not be sure it was due to the rivaroxaban , so i've underwent blood test , psa and dre tests, cystoscopy , kidney /bladder ultrasounds and CT scan of my abdomen/pelvis to rule out other possible causes - so far everything has come back clear, so hopefully just a side effect of the rivaroxaban.
  • Posted

Hi I am having it done this Monday totally dreading it how are you now ?i have been having prostrate problems although my prostate is non tender and benign having pelvic pain and not emptying bladder slower flow so anxious about this now it's coming round hope your have recovered well
    • Posted

Hi Russ ,

its now 2 days since i had my cystoscopy and i have now recovered completley and back to normal with no burning pain when i go for a pee.

I was aware that anything that might have enlarged my prostate and possiby constricted my uerthra may have made the procedure a bit more uncomfortable when the probe passed thru' my prostate area, so I asked my wife to leave me along for a few days prior wink  and i can honestly say that i hardly felt anything - in fact i was talking to the urologist thru' the entire prodcedure. The biggest scare I had was when i saw the nurse pass the scope over to the urologist to begin the procedure - it was like a huge worm ...and believe me Im a big scaredy cat !!!

good luck on Monday - pls post on here how it goes for you. cheers  

• Posted

Hi glad you have recovered from the procedure well I suppose I just go for it just that when I had the dre examination after I started to develop pelvic pain in the perineal area not nice just hope it don't set it off again anyway thanks for the bit about the worm lol keep you posted thanks
    • Posted

Hi Russ , hopefully everythng went well for you on Monday. cheers 
  • Posted

Just had a flexible cystoscopy 3 days ago. This had been a huge stress on me for the last 3 months. The actual procedure is easy and pain free. The worrying and uncertainty is the worst part. Actually no...The damn irritation from having been scoped is the worst. It amplified the irritation I was already having. It's only been 3 days but praying for relief soon. The doctor didn't prepare me for what the after result would be like. Had I known I'd be dealing with this much urethral irritation and discomfort I probably would have opted not to go forward with the procedure. He didn't even go into the bladder. He just checked the whole urethra.

A little back story...I've been dealing with urethra irritation and discomfort for the last 3 month. Blood and urine come back negative for infection. Microscopic blood seen in urine. Prostate is ok and so is PSA (1.9). Was on cipro for 19 days, then Ceftin for 14. Uro said symptoms overlap prostatitis and interstitial cystitis. But first uro never scoped me. He mentioned it and almost did it but then decided not to.

I was hospitalized 2 weeks ago for what turned out to be a viral infection. I had high fever, chills, and chest tightness, as well as the urethral irritation. The kept me because of high fever. Wanted to rule out bacterial infection. Saw a uro in the hospital. He checked prostate and said no prostatitis and unlikely that i have interstitial cystitis. He recommended I get a second opinion with another uro.

Im now on my 3rd urologist in 3 months. Still some microscopic blood in urine. This new uro scoped me and said no strictures or scaring in the urethra but did see some inflammation in the urethra. I'm 39 btw and have never had any urinary issues. He said he could only treat symptoms since there wasn't anything else there. Gave me script for valium to relax pelvic floor muscles. He said I could have non bacterial prostatitis as well.

He want's to follow up in 6 weeks. Not sure what will change in 6 weeks that hasn't changed in 3 months.

QUESTION... For those of you who have been scoped how long does the irritation last after the procedure? The initial sting/ burn was over after the first few pees, but the annoying irritation and discomfort throughout my urethra is just really uncomfortable. Does this really take 3-4 weeks?? How long did you have to abstain from sexual relations or ejaculating? I'm concerned about causing further irritation to my urethra.

I know stress and anxiety play a huge part in this but I'm just looking for some peace of mind.

Thanks.

Mikey

• Posted

l had a flexible cystoscopy 3 month ago, and had no problems at time or after, as happens with many, not all, think it depends on what problems your having when its done as theyll still be there after, and maybe aggrevated by the procedure. Strange they scope your  urethra and not the bladder, ic is considered a bladder problem but affects urethra as mcuh,  both closely connected. l and many have had severe symptoms pain, heat, stinging and irritation for years before i cystitus diagnosed with scope. due to it being years there is inflammation and scarring from pin point hemmorages over the years,leaving scar tissue,  maybe not so much for you with it only being 3months from start, although l think there are other signs of ic as seen in biopsies taken at scope time, fibrogen layer, wonder why urologist said it unlikely you had ic. men do get it, not as commonly as women but some do.Theyre saying youve inflammation with no known cause seen, lve been there, non specific uretheritus, jsut meant they hadnt found diagnosed ic. but it was before scope.  l didnt know they gave valium for pelvic relaxation, they do commonly give amitrip for ic, due to it calming nerve endings and reducing frequency, also helping with sleep. Difficult to say how long inflammation takes to settle down with or without meds, maybe the valiuim will achieve it in suggested time of weeks, Many also get cimetidine with ic, its histamine receptor and with ic, not sure about other inflammatory conditions, you produce too many mast cells that cause inflammation, Also when ic active intercourse does aggrevate it more, guess its simular for men, most women with ic would wait till they felt it settled and comfortable,or take risk of making it worse.Anxiety stress do make inflammatory conditions worse, but the symptoms also help cause it, plus the nervous system does run through the bladder, adding to it. At least theyre seeing you again to see if its settling, You could  check on c.o.b site for far more info and advice than l know, theyre experts in bladder urethra problems, and will advice you, can even ring them, and theyve a forum. l guess youve heard the common response of drink loads of water, keeping the area cool, try heat or cold packs see if either help.    hope it settles for you soon. 

• Posted

Thank you Lynne. I'd like to get to the bottom of this ASAP rather then wait. If there is only inflammation in urethra and no strictures or scaring I don't want to let it get worse. Hoping for relief soon and additional answers on Jan 27th when I go back.

What is the C.O.B site?

I've been drinking loads of water and taking Aleve to help with inflammation and pain. Not helping much. Urologist said he prescribes 2mg valium to help relax the pelvic floor muscles. Not sure it's going to help with urethral discomfort but he said it would help with prostatitis symptoms.

Thanks again

Mikey

• Posted

l agree with you pursuing it, to get answers,  c.o.b is cystitus and overactive bladder foundation, listed under cob, they do advice info on all problems about bladder urethra, conditions l dont know about, worth having a look in and asking for info, l think to say to patients that there is inflammation with no known cause is a bit vague, it can happen l guess, but for most theres a reason, sometimes its finding it takes time, wonder why they keep passing you to different urologists, 3 in 3 months, some better than others at finding things l guess,  Hope the c o b site can advice you further, 
    • Posted

I wish you welly cystoscopy was the most hellish medical procedure I've had done ever

Only used local anesthesia and didn't even wait for it to take effect went right at it.I still have penis head discomfort on left side and urethra feels very raw.more th an anything seed to exasperate symptoms of prostatitis. .pain left scrotum and Pelvis I already had

.been 4 days since prodedure. Didn't even really need it.but some posters said it can take several weeks to feel better.my urologist when scheduleing only said it would take a few minutes. .nothing else!

• Posted

Sounds like your urologist wasnt the most caring. lve had 2 one with anascetic one without, and had far more discomfort after the one with anascetic, but l expect that was because l,d a lot of pain before and at time, and its going to aggrevate whats already causing the pain, be it inflammation, lve had painless one that was easy as have others, but were all different and it depends state your in when you have it. Hope it settles soon.
    • Posted

Thanks for your comment. Funny thing is I talked to urologists nurse or assistant yesterday about pain she gave me a prescription for urethra pain..u know the stuff that turns urine orange.but when I mentioned pain near tip of urethra she advised me to buy neosporin. So tonight I put a tiny bit at tip and slightly in

..that hurt more!..so now I have drank much water and urinated 3 times..burns less but still there and no visual reaction

So I guess I'll go to immediate care in am

Thanks for your god wishes same to you.

• Posted

Yes, Urologists really play this down, it is FAR far worse than I was lead to believe too, it was weeks before I began to feel I was getting over the physical trauma longer for the psychological damge!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.