Undiagnosable Abdominal Pain.

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi, 

Been to the ER 3 times with intense abdominal pain over the last 6 months. Right under the left rib cage. Pain can go from ache to sharp 3-9 on scale. 

Current situation

Day 1

Had colonoscopy, gastroscope. 

No chrones, no Diverticuli, no coeliacs, etc. Basically completely normal.

Also got a clean HPylori back.

Pain was at a 3 ache, for home. Ate a little. 

Day 2

Pain 5 ache. 

Gets worse when I move around. 

Day 3 

Pain 6 worse when I move, worse when I eat. I still ate a little.

Day 4

Pain 8 ache. 

Go to ER

X-RAY , comes back clean.

Blood tests (white blood cells etc) comes back clean

Pain revolves to a 9 sharp! 

Sent me home but gave me an ultrasound for the next day.

Day 5 

Ultrasound. Comes back clean(ish)

I have PCOS, they found PCOS, nothing I don’t already know.

It’s day 6

Still having pain.

Get worse when I move, gets worse when I eat or drink. 

Having regular(ish) BMs 

This makes 4 visits to hospital. I’m at my wits end here. They won’t give me a CT or an MRI. 

(I live in Canada)

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Could well be gallstones....they will not show no blood test..nor endoscopy . And sometimes thdy dont show on ultrasound.. you defo need mri...and test for gallbladder .. its jut an option for now...but did they take biopsy while on endoscopy....was it complete clear?

Thanks

• Posted

They did take a biopsy, I’m waiting on the results
  • Posted

It might be gallstones passing through your bile duct maybe. 

Have they checked for pancreatitis? Both of these conditions radiate the pain on your left upper stomach , eating intensifies it. 

Hope you get the correct diagnosis soon 

• Posted

Did they check you for pancreatitis ?

I had the same problem and symptoms a blood test checking your lipase level will tell if you have acute pancreatitis . Normal range is 80 to 120 .

• Posted

Emma do you remember what triggered this pain? I am suffering from something very similar, slight movements like walking hurts my upper left and sometimes middle stomach, standing straight and walking gives me upper left stomach pain and feeling of stomach literally falling. Sometimes it feels like someone punched me and diapharm goes into paralysis I believe so it feels like someone punched me. Even taking deep breaths and talking connects to the pain like upper stomach muscles are not relaxed. Other times it either feels like a severe cramp pain or like a ball inside a stomach. My docs thought it could be pancreatitis but things didnt add up because this pain and inability to relax stomach muscles is not pancreatitis symptoms. My pain started after a course of antibiotics I took so docs were quick to call it pancreatitis. But since movement aggravates the pain and pain never left me (usually there is a remission period or atleast thats what people have told me who have pancreatitis. it has been more than 6 months without relief in my case, I can aggravate the pain by doing something that needs some sort of resistance, my stomach is so painful that even walking and breathing hurts it so any physical activity contracts and hardens my upper stomach muscles and it gets unbearable then and feels like someone punched you in your solar plexus or like a severe cramp in upper left stomach) it cant be pancreatitis. My MRCP, blood test, ultrasound, and endoscopy were normal. I didnt do CT though. Docs are really confused why I am experiencing so much pain. Even sleeping in certain position aggaravates pain, its not the outer muscles but the inner stomach muscles or diapharm that is causing so much pain to me, again this doesnt happen in pancreatitis as pancreatitis pain is different. Docs dont really have an answer. I just wish it goes away but this pain has never left me since the last 6 months or so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.