Undiagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband started of with tremors in his right hand and was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease.  After 6 months of feeling worse with medication, he had a DatScan which ruled out parkinsons.  For the past year and a half, he has been getting the following symptoms:  slowness and stiffness on the right side of his body.  Episodes of paralysis on his right side which last between 20 mins and 45 mins.  He has done the following tests :  MRI, EMG and EEG - all resulted normal.  Last week he had a spinal tap and we are awaiting results.   Any ideas?  The neuro is suspecting some rare illness however we are still in the dark as to what the matter might be.  Anyone got similiar symptoms?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

there are may neuro things out there hunni, and it does sadly take a very long time for patients to jump through all the hoops until they get answers. I'm sure your husband has seen and been prodded by loads of docotrs as they try to find out what's going on with him; I think you just have to wait for the next result   (the lumbar puncture) and go from there. I am so sorry I can't be more helpful; I speak as a mum who's daughter has been through all of what you describe ......and more........  and we do now have a diagnosis....but telling you what with would not be helpful . I'm sure you're both scared enough already. I DO wish you both well, keep in touch, I'll be here for you if I can help in anyway. Best wishes to you both 
  • Posted

I have many of these symptoms and was diagnosed with Functional Neurological Disorder. Further tests found vitamin b12 deficiency. The b12 test is often missed. Check that he has been tested to rule it out. Hope you get some good news soon xx
  • Posted

We've had similar experiences except no lumbar puncture offered yet despite my constant requests for one. I would be very interested to know what your diagnosis proves to be.

Does your husband have falls also ?

Best of luck !

• Posted

Thanks for your replies.  Clarachuff to be honest, I spent almost a year believing that my husband had parkinsons and it was a very difficult time for me.  I dont think any other diagnosis can throw me off track.  

Will keep you posted with results of lumbar puncture.  

• Posted

yes, knowing what it is is terrifying....and then to be told it isn't that after all.................dreadful, I do feel for you and look forward (not really the right thing to say but hope you understand what I mean ) to hearing how you both get on, all the very best x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.