Undiagnosed AAA burst sizes

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've read that it's a 100/1 chance of an AAA bursting that's <5.5cms. How do they know that when it's an undiagnosed burst? It's never been measured when intact. Apparently the measuring of diagnosed AAAs has dubious accuracy so how can they measure one after it's burst?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Michael,

You make a very good point about the Aneursym not having been measured prior to bursting. However, I am not so sure about your comment about the measurement of diagnosed ones being of dubious accuracy. I have an ascending thoracic aortic aneursym of 5.4cm. This has been measured by both Ultrasound Echocardiogram and a CT Scan and the difference between the two was 1mm, so I am pretty sure there is a high degree of accuracy.

• Posted

Fair enough, you're probably right. I'm very new to this game and I think I read something in a scholarly article questioning the accuracy of measurements. The other thing that's bothering me is I continually read that most people's symptoms go undiagnosed yet I'm getting the full array of  symptoms as can be read here:

http://hdfilmcehennemi.info/abdominal-aortic-aneurysm-cardiosmart_59092c38f6065d4f70454267

(you can click on the PDF link for the original article)

and here...

https://www.medscape.com/answers/1979501-30948/what-are-the-signs-and-symptoms-of-abdominal-aortic-aneurysm-aaa

I don't know how anyone wouldn't see a doctor after getting the symptoms. Thankfully not getting the blue toe thing, although they're permanently cool or cold. I'm expecting to have a large one (>5) confirmed tomorrow when my doctor tells me the results of the scans. I've been chasing the surgery for the results which is surprising as they said they would call me if there was any need for a follow up. Unfortunately I saw a stand-in doctor for the examination that ordered the scan. My own was on holiday and the stand-in said she'd let me know if there was any need to go back in. Didn't hear from her even after two days of trying to get her to call me back. Fortunately my doctor is back tomorrow. Meanwhile the symptoms are becoming more pronounced. Having uncomfortable days and waking up every night after a couple of hours feeling nauseous and with the AAA moving around causing related pain. It's a scary business.

• Posted

Hi Ted - I am at 5.1 - at what size are they telling you they will intervene?

• Posted

Hi Michael - if your garden hose bursts, you can still make a reasonable assumption as to its intact diameter - same thing with our AAA's.

With respect to the accuracy of measurement, I have been advised that it doesnt vary more than 1mm and that (for monitoring purposes) we should use the same machine where possible - - makes sense to me - I was diagnosed at 5.1 - 9 months ago and have had one 6mth check that came in at 5.1 again - so who knows ? - I may have been 5.1 for the last ten frigging years ???? Anyway Im still walking 8km every day ans scuba diving quite a bit - nothing has changed much and I would encourage a positive, informed mindset - my plan is to die of something else - ha ha -

GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Fair and very positive comments Rod. Did you have symptoms before it was diagnosed or was it discovered by accident?

• Posted

Hi Michael - no symptoms - just a check up that included a stress test - although I have had several chest pain incidents over the years that were attributed to stress - so its curious

how about you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.