Undiagnosed Pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I'm still looking for a diagnosis of pain I get right side of abdominal area. Shallow, feels like it's in muscle where abs meet rictus sheath.

History: I used to get severe pain just above this area that would last 4-6 hours that on occasion would mean a visit to A and E, this would be 2-3 times per year. Very infrequent.

I now feel more of a discomfort sharpish pain day to day when I bend over or exercise. A worry more than disabling pain, like a niggle but because of really bad pain I use to get it got me paranoid. Old pain I got on and off for 25 years, this new discomfort thing I've had for 2 years.

So being a 48 year old very fit male and having enough of being told to just get on with it I pushed for some idea for what's going on. All the tests listed below have been done and all Normal,. 

Blood tests for all liver, kidney pancreas, gallbladder diabetes etc, X-ray, ultra sound, CT scan, blood in stool test and I've been prodded and poked by doctors and a gastric speacilist, oh and had an ulcer test too. All clear!!

Doctors now suggesting it's all in the mind. It's not!

Anybody had a similar experience or got an idea. CT scan was totally normal too.

Could it be muscular? 

Any info much appreciated as it's metaphorically a pain in the arse but a real pain in the side.

Thanks

Chris 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you had your appendix checked for grumbling apoendicitis? Does your pain move about and do you have change of bowel habit?  Does the pain come on after eating?  Perhaps try a food diary. Were you tested for h pylori? Does the pain come and go?  What about recent stress? Has iBS been mentioned since everything else is negative?
    • Posted

Hi. 

Thanks for response.

Yes been tested for pylori and negative. 

Comes and goes, feel it when I'm sitting driving sometimes or when I bend over, again in occasional but daily. I can live with it but really need to find out what it is.

My stools lose-ish of a morning after a coffee, always been like that.

Am a bit stressed as partners not well! and one doctors, only one as have seen a dozen suggest IBS but couldn't and would pass it a diagnosis. 

Not sure what to think. 

Thanks

Chris 

• Posted

See a different doctor.  Were you tested for celiac? Have you done strenuous exercise that might have pulled a muscle? Has any doctor suggested a muscle strain?  Try a food diary to see id the oroblem is food related.
    • Posted

Not tested for celiac, I do excercise hard. Done a good diary and gone Gluten free to see if that helps, but no joy. 

I thought seeing a gastroenterologist would narrow it down but got discharged back to doctors and nothing to report. I'm determined to find out so keep searching. 

• Posted

Push to see a gastroenterologist and ask for a celiac test.  Try going dairy free.  If you exercise hard, you may have pulled a muscle.  Tell your doctor about your exercise regime.
  • Posted

ACNES? abdominal cutaneous nerve entrapment syndrome

Try to find a doc who knows about Carnett's sign (when you lie flat and pull your upper body up, so pain would worsen when tensing that abdominal muscle - positive Carnett's sign).

If it does, it's as easy as a injection lidocain and cortisone.

All the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.