Undiagnosed severe left flank pain for months - is this kidney related?

Posted , 120 users are following.

I have had severe left flank pain for 3 months now and still not been able to get a diagnosis. I am a 24 year old usually fit female.

The pain started towards the end of April while i was in work (an office desk job). It was on my left side in between my hip and ribs, spreading down to my groin. The pain got worse over the next couple of hours, and it has been a constant dull ache since then. The pain is most strong on the back of my left side but i can also feel it from the front.

I went to the doctors with this pain where i done blood and urine tests and got put on antibiotics for a suspected kidney infection, as well as codeine to ease the pain. The results came back with an apparent slight kidney abnormality showing, but a week later, i was still in a lot of pain and unable to move much, so i went back to the doctors where i got referred into hospital. I spent the night in hospital where i had more blood and urine tests, as well as an ultra sound. The hospital told me my results showed a UTI, but the ultrasound was clear, so i got put on another course of antibiotics and sent home. A week later, i was still in a lot of pain so i went back to the doctors where i was put on another (stronger) course of antibiotics for 2 weeks. The pain eased slightly above the groin, but the main pain on my left side was still the same.

My doctor then referred me to gastroenterology at the hospital where i had to wait weeks for an appointment, only to be told that he didn't think it was bowel or stomach related (as i can still eat and pass stools normally) and that i should have been referred to urology.

My doctor referred me to urology where the waiting list was 2 months, so i decided to get a private consultation with a urologist. The consultant done a urine test, which confirmed i had blood present in it. He went over my symptoms and suggested a CT scan in case i had a small kidney stone stuck which had been missed by the ultrasound. He was also concerned at my frequency as passing urine (this is usually over 20 times a day with anywhere between 3 to 8 times through the night). He referred me back to the NHS for the CT scan which i had a few weeks ago.

The CT scan results came back clear of kidney stones. My consultant now thinks the issue could be musculoskeletal but he still wants to see me to do some bladder studies as he is concerned about the frequency of urination. I have an appointment with my urology consultant for a few weeks time, but to see someone to investigate if the pain could be musculoskeletal there is a 3 month waiting list.

I am still in a lot of pain, both when moving and sitting (it never eases), and it is effecting my every day life. I can't go into the office to work due to the amount of pain i am in, i can't drive with it, and i haven't left the house the past few month apart from doctor or hospital visits. I am constantly feeling down and tired, and often get spells of dizziness and my eyes blacking out when i stand up (i am unsure if the tiredness and dizziness is related or not). I had a breakdown the other weekend where i cried for 2 days straight with the pain, the frustration of not being able to get a diagnosis, and not being able to do anything. I am worried that depression is kicking in with how long this has dragged on for.

I had no injury or knock to the area before the pain started. My mums side of the family also has a history of nephritis (kidney disease) with 4 of my aunt and uncles having it, but my urology consultant doesn't think there is a connection.

Is anyone able to provide any help or suggestions on what they think this pain could be as well as how to help ease it (the codeine doesn't help)? I feel like i have been passed around so many different people who still have no idea what is causing this pain.

6 likes, 174 replies

174 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been facing an almost mirror response to your experience. I feel quite badly for you. I've been taking Co-Codamoll, Paracetamol, and various NSAID's, - none of which has done diddly-squat.

I'm most fortunate to have an extremely pro-active GP and she immediately scheduled all the tests you've had.

The bottom line is that I have my first ever bout of 'sciatica.' And it's a dilly of a pain!

The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in our body; running from foot to head. There are occasions when this never can become pinched or distressed, due to a vast range of reasons - from sports, to exercise, to sitting in an 'unnatural' position, or even from sitting on a long-haul flight.

I've been miserable and as someone who is constantly active, I've found having sciatica to be a miserable curse.

The greatest solution is through physio. However, there are many exercises you may do at home to help alleviate your pain and discomfort.

I strongly encourage you to have a chin-wag with your GP and ask them to refer you to a physiotherapist to see whether they may assist you in reducing your pain and discomfort. Taking tablets are simply not a solution and may cause far more dire problems.

I wish you every success!

Fr B+

• Posted

I've had sciatic pain before !! I'll be praying for you!!
  • Posted

Hi there,

I read the above posts with much interest.

For the last couple of months, I've had a pain in my left flank. I initially thought this to be muscular so waited to see if it righted itself.

Last week, however, the pain became worse and I woke up soaked in sweat yet shivering nearly every night. I also had a temperature, nausea, and generally, no energy at all.

I saw my GP who diagnosed a kidney infection. He prescribed Ciprofloxacin for this and sent a urine sample away for tests.

Although I still have the flank pain, nausea, and no energy, I am feeling slightly better than I was, having been on the antibiotics for 5 days.

My GP called this morning to advise that the test results showed no infection. This has sent me reeling as now feel that the GP suspects Hypercondria. He has taken me off the antibiotics and I attended for blood tests earlier today.

I'm not imagining this flank pain but have been made to feel like I must be.

• Posted

Greetings Hannahabz

Let's hope your GP isn't suggesting you're a hypochondriac simply because you've expressed pain. That is, unless, you have a history of these inexplicable events, then, perhaps the GP's thoughts are fair game. However, I sincerely doubt it.

I've always been aware of my sciatic nerve. However, not once in my extremely active life have I ever had such a problem. I've spent a good portion of my life sleeping in chairs (literally!), and I've spent other parts traipsing around the world, dragging huge weights on one and sometimes both shoulders. Yet, again, my sciatic nerve has never once been a problem.

Is it possible that you've either done some exercise, or task, such as gardening, swimming, etc., or even sport, such as jogging or cycling that may possibly have shifted on you? In fact, I was told by an osteopath that even a change of shoes, such as from a heeled shoe to a flat could cause an eventual 'warning' to scream across the sciatic nerve.

Next week, I'm shceduled to have a CT scan, just as another follow-up, and a few more tests, for some relatively 'far out there' things, but again, it all seems to be centred around the sciatic nerve.

Part of my work involves being in environments which are admittedly dangerous for a number of reasons. As I did a tally of my activities over the past eight weeks I recalled that I had some rather severe 'bangs' when I was riding flat-bottomed on a sledge, being pulled by eight huskies across a frozen fjord. It's possible, (remote, but possible), that I've somehow incured a hair-line fracture in my pelvic bone. This would account for the pain I'm experiencing.

But as of this writing, it still remains a mystery. And that's after multiple series of antibiotics, numerous painkillers, and anti-inflammatories - other than making my brain detach from my body, I still had and have the pain. So, as with a toothache, it simply can't be sorted with a simple tablet of some sort.

I don't know whether you're of the ilk, but I'd encourage you to consider seeing either a physio-therapist, or sports masseur and tell them what you're experiencing. They may be able to offer you both some remedies and advice as to how you can rid yourself of this.

As for my GP, whom I love dearly; we've only once ever had anything anyone might consider accusatory on her part. She once said to me, " B, what would you do if I said you were getting fat?"  I responded, "I'd get myself a fatter doctor, you anorexic twit!"  

And not once has she ever again mentioned it!

Feel better!

Fr B+

• Posted

That is how people have treated me they all act like I am making it up thatnits in my head but I for one have a low low pain tolerance and I can't handle any pain and this pain is constantly there in my right side and back yet nothing can be found there is no answer to.what is causing it, and some people.say its my fault causeni am in bed all.the time, but I am.in bed cause I am hurting so bad I can't move with out pain.so.bad itnhurts to breathe.
    • Posted

I want to say such doctors (or lay people), "It is easier for you to believe I'm making this up than to concede you don't know what it is." 

I have the same physical crap going on. It's gotten much worse in the last 6 weeks and I've been researching like crazy. Sometimes I just give up looking out of frustration and exhaustion. I appreciate the 1st comment here because that is how I found her and all of you. I have new things to look up, new leads and I feel less crazy. 

• Posted

Please Research Bilateral Nephroptosis / Floating Kidney!! I was finally Diagnosed after 6 Long Years and had the surgery 2 weeks ago 😄

LIFE IS GOOD AGAIN!

• Posted

I'm sorry I was rather blunt with my initial comment. I'm Praying my struggle will provide Relief for someone else.

Here's a short version of my story;

Only "Real Complaint" most of my life: PAIN on my Right side ...

Surgical history started after 1st child (I was very young)

By the age of 22 I had undergone Countless "Exploratory" Laparoscopies and almost Complete Hysterectomy (other than my Left Ovary was remaining).

Gallbladder removed at 19 *it was an Emergency Surgery because the little devil was trying to kill me 😉

From 23 - 30 I can say I was relatively Healthy and had no major complaints (although my Weight / size was larger than I've ever been, 130-135 pounds)

Nov 2008 I went to the Dr because I was Exhausted and felt Horrible, strange Burning / Pulling / Fireball in my Right Flank... Above Hip but around Floating Rib area.

Test Confirmed Blood in Urine, must be Stones and Infection - Antibiotics (Cipro) and Pain Meds ... before my follow up appointment my Position was Dissolved due to Economic Conditions! So without Insurance we decided to Treat the Symptoms without a lot of Expensive Tests ... little did we know that would continue for almost 3 Years!??

2012 Amazing Health Ins Returns 😂

Family Dr waits almost a Year to start testing ...?

3 different Scans *All Laying Down showed nothing

Urologist - Scan and Bladder Sonogram - Nothing

OB/GYN - Cysts on Left Ovary and return of Adhesions/Endometriosis ... Scheduled Exploratory Lap- Left Oophrectomy

Surgery left me hopeful... but 8 days Post Op, Rt Flank Pain Returned with a Vengeance!

OB/GYN suggested General Surgeon because additional adhesions may have been overlooked

Gen Surgeon - Colonoscopy / Clear Normal; Exploratory Lap with Appendectomy ...

Pain Continued

Health insurance lost (again)

12 Months 13 Doctors later I had reached my Breaking Point. My family was questioning my Claims of Pain and my life consisted of Which Borderline PJs were acceptable if seen in public ... should I accidentally leave the house.

I found a Blog discussing a Diagnosis and SYMPTOMS that Mirrored My Own!!! Nephroptosis. IT FIT EVERY SINGLE SYMPTOM!!!

1 SIMPLE TEST***

My Dr ordered an IVP - Laying and STANDING

It was Incorrectly Reported by Radiology but found that my Kidney would drop onto my Hip when I was not Laying Perfectly Flat ... which caused a Kinking of the Ureter and Stretching those veins ... OUCH!

This is the BEST PART!!

Since last surgery I was Almost Convinced I was Crazy ... 12 Months 13 Doctors later I had reached my Breaking Point. My family was questioning my Claims of Pain and my life consisted of Which Borderline PJs were acceptable if seen in public ... should I accidentally leave the house.

I found a Blog discussing a Diagnosis and SYMPTOMS that Mirrored My Own!!! Nephroptosis. IT FIT EVERY SINGLE SYMPTOM!!!

My Dr ordered an IVP - Laying and STANDING

It was Incorrectly Reported by Radiology but found that my Kidney would drop onto my Hip when I was not Laying Perfectly Flat ... which caused a Kinking of the Ureter and Stretching those veins ... OUCH!

This is the BEST PART!! After 6 YEARS Of Non-Stop Excrutiating Debilitating Satan Pain

I Contacted the same Urologists the Blogger used ... within 6 Weeks of my 1st Phone Call to their Office I Was In Surgery and that was 2 weeks ago today.

My Surgical Nightmare Seems to be over. I Pray this helps you find relief Faster than I did...

• Posted

Hello first of all thank you so much for sharing your experience, your story really spiked my intrest because im going through similar situation. I noticed you said you contacted the dr. The blogger talked about,what was the Dr. Name,if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

Amanda, thank you.  I believe nephroptosis is the answer to my medical nightmare.  Your symptoms mirror mine almost exactly.  I have had this pain for over 4 years.  Haven't been able to wear a bra or 'normal' pants in 3 years.  Also have not been able to work.  My fingers are crossed that this is the diagnosis that I have needed all along.  I am curious about your surgery and what it entailed.  Are you still pain free?

• Posted

God I hope you still visit this forum but I have so many similar symptoms as you (except I'm a guy and it's on my left). Can you tell me who you saw and which doctor/Urologist helped you? Thanks so much!

• Posted

hi iv had same flank pai for 6mths and loads toilet trips  docs all said uti with having blood and pus on diptick but never any positive uti

--had u had cystocopy?? i have under gen anesthetic and they confirmed bladder wall infection--very chronic--with cysts on bladder wall biopsy grew ecoli-

i didnt have any burning on weeing just pain in back side and constant wees

i was told to stop tea ,coffee which has helped massive -it is a bladder irritant and since stopping caffeine i know only go toilet once a hour

they have tried to eal me with nitrofurotaine, and currently on cefalexin   --nothing working so im back at urology next wk--its awful iknow exactly ow u r feeling--big hugs to you  -when this hits you its so depressing x

• Posted

Wow, so glad I came across this page! I have have left flank pain from mild to severe as the YEARS pass. I always show positive when UTI urinalysis' have been done & I've brought that up to every Dr that I've talked to about this pain-which is a lot over 5-6 yrs.

The pain is in my back/side where no major organs are obviously related. I pee constantly and have irregular bowel symptoms. Recently, over the last year I have gained a ridiculous amount of weight with no explanation for that either- haven't heard anyone mention wight gain yet...

My OB diagnosed me with Polycystic ovarian disease, thinking that was the root of my pain. Nope.

The colonoscopy I had done a few years ago came back inconclusive-the procedure couldn't be competed bc I was unrestrainably hitting & cussing the staff bc the scope caused such a great deal of pain... I don't recall bc they used Vercet (mixed w Demerol) back then. Now that it is propofal indused sedation I can go get another done.

Finally a GP took me seriously enough to go beyond a CBC blood panel. My calcium is very elevated but everything else is pretty normal. I started with a new GI, had an xray to rule out constipation... They got my previous GP & hospital records & called me tonight with an order for a CT stat. Also another blood draw this time checking my pancreas and lipids etc... That's tomorrow morning.

Whether GI or Urology related, I am going in with more knowledge in on this than I've ever had. I can't deal with the pain any longer and my pain is at its worst when I am laying down so the amount of sleep I've lost is immeasurable! So tired of Drs thinking I am drug seeking, its an insult on a bad injury.

Please, is there any

• Posted

I totally feel you! I went to the ER twice and the last time.i told them i dont want any pain meds i want to k wo whats wrong. They treated me like a drug addict,and im in serious pain. I hate when they do that. Did you ever find out what was wrong? Im still searching.
  • Posted

Does anyone have any updated info about this? I am revisiting the GI this week after my CT tomorrow. I'd like to pur as many possibilities on the table to really truly find out how to stop this pain!

TY in advance for any advice/ info!

• Posted

Jen.

Please throw NEPHROPTOSIS at them to rule out! If your Left Kidney is Kinked it will mess with Calcium in your Labs. And the Excruciating Pain was worse for me when I slept because I was on my Side and it continued to Pull and Basically Rip out my Will To Live!

Prayers For Answers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.