Undiagnosed stomach pain for months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I have been having a lot of stomach pain for about 5 months now and it’s getting worse. It typically can range from all quadrants but hurts the worst when I press on my upper left quadrant close to my breast bone... I’ve had a barrium swallow which only showed minor reflux, Amit of blood tests and an abdomal X-ray and nothing has been found. I thought maybe IBS so have been taking probiotics but all I’ve noticed is my stool I’m more consistently normal... my doc also has me on 2 anti depressants one for panic disorder (lexapro) and the other for migraine (Nortriptyline) both at a very low dose and both are working. 

Does anyone know what could be causing all this pain? Side effect of the meds? Ulcer? Please help sad my doc won’t take it seriously and I’m in so much pain. 

Should mention I’m 25 I don’t smoke and barley drink, Laos the pain doesn’t change after I eat but does get worse steadily through the day. 

Thanks, Tim

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What does the pain feel like, does it feel on the surface of skin like pulled or torn muscle? Is the pain aggravated by movement? and breathing?
  • Posted

Do you have change of bowel habit? Any constipation or diarrhoea? Are the probiotics helping? It could be IBS if nothing else is showing.  Keep going back to your doctor for a firm diagnosis.  If your doctor is unconcerned, this is goid news for you.  A barium swallow/meal would have shown an ulcer.  This was the orginal test that used to be done to detect ulcers before endoscopies were developed.

Although, your medications are helping, they can cause nasty side effects.

• Posted

I tested positive for H pylori today, not fun but at least it can be treated!
    • Posted

That’s good to know.  When you finish the antibiotics, remember to take yoghurt to rebuild your gut flora which can get disturbed after harsh antibiotics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.