Undiagnosed upper left ab and upper left back pain coming up to 4 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

I have been having dull upper left ab pain (behind left ribcage) and upper left back pain. It all started 3 months ago after a night of drinking. It began as a VERY sharp pain that lasted about 5 minutes. Ever since then I have had dull pain everyday along with loose/greasy stool and diarreah. It begins to hurt 1 hour after food (especially fat), and will have come-n-go pain for four hours (or until I eat again)

I have gone through many tests (bloodwork, abd ultrasound, CT scan w/ contrast, upper endoscopy, endoscopic ultrasound (biopsies were taken), and colonoscopy. All came back clear.

My GI doctor prescribed me zenpep to help with the loose stool. It has helped get rid of it, and my stools are mostly solid. It has even taken away some of my back pain.

I am on a low-fat diet and cut out alcohol completely. I take grape seed extract and vitamin C. I am treating myself as if I have chronic pancreatitis, but have yet to recieve a diagnosis. I still experience pain EVERYDAY, but its not as intense as it was in the beginning. (either that or I am getting used to the pain)

I am worried that it was a missed diagnosis of acute pancreatitis, and now it is slowly becoming chronic. I am doing everything I can to keep the pain down.

Is there anyone out there that has cured from a similar situation?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eric,

Your symptoms sound like pancreatitis. But it's unusual that all those tests didn't pick something up. In my case a CT scan done in January indicated pancreatic inflammation and inflammation of my kidneys. Yet, in March an ultrasound test indicated that my pancreas was normal. But, I still have pain and now I need a colonoscopy apparently. So, how soon after the onset of the pain were the tests carried out.Is it possible that your inflammation had cleared up in the interim? Keep following the diet until things become clearer.

Regards,

Pete.

• Posted

Hi Pete,

Thanks for replying, my blood was drawn a week after my incident, so it is likely that my levels calmed down before it was drawn. My ultrasound a month after the incident, ct scan 2 months after the incident, upper endoscopy/ endoscopic ultrasound/ colonoscopy done 3 months after the incident. So my tests were carried out pretty far apart. I do hope that it is inflammation clearing up.

How long since your incident? Has your pain decreased at all with diet? Hope you are getting better by the day.

Thanks,

Eric

• Posted

I had those pains for over two years before they concluded it was pancreatitis.  My tests always came back clear and it wasn't until I got the diarrhea that they said it was chronic pancreatitis.  I never had an acute attack. 

• Posted

Hi Nina,

When you were having the pain before you received your diagnosis, were you watching your diet? Or did the pain continue no matter what was eaten?

I had the pain and diarreah all at once. Then I started taking enzymes which helped my stool.

I hope that your pancreas looks good on imaging test and doesn't have any permanent damage, and that you may be able to bounce back

• Posted

Eric, no, I wasn't watching my diet. I was eating junk and having a drink most days, but only one, I knew women shouldn't drink more than one each day. None of my doctors even suggested to me what could be wrong and they never suggested that I eat healthier. For that I'm pretty ticked off. When they told me they thought I had CP I immediately gave up alcohol and started eating very healthy and low fat. So I am feeling better now I believe because of my diet change, not because of anything the docs did for me. I hope you can get to feeling better.

• Posted

Thanks Nina,

Grab some enzymes to help digest your food! We need to take all pre-cautions to stop any further damage. Stay on your diet and you will heal! Hope you get better.

Eric

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.