Undigested food in stool, GP querying Thyroid issue/IBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

So I've been experiencing IBS symptoms for a few months now, severe pain prior to a movement, and the movements themselves are either entirely liquid, like a baby's, or I'm constipated. I'm now seeing undigested food in my stools and am a bit concerned as it's happening at the same time as me losing weight. Due to the variety of medication I'm on, for years it's been a battle to just maintain my weight, never mind losing it, so it suddenly falling off me is a bit concerning. The foods are NOT insoluable fibres, for example today it was whole chips. Not broken down in the slightest.

Hyperthyroidism and IBS are being investigated as the source of the weight loss and bowel issues, however the tests were arranged prior to me noticing the undigested food, and I'm just looking for some input on potential causes of this while I wait for a diagnosis.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am having the same issue. Are you eating alot of insoluble fiber such as broccoli, raw carrots, raw veggies, nuts, etc? Many of these are undigestible and you will see this in your stool. Try to stick with soluble fiber such as Brown rice, oatmeal, yogurt with live cultures, etc. Right now, I'm in so much medical debt I am two years overdue for a colonoscopy. It makes me nervous what they might find.

• Posted

Hi Josephine,

As stated above, the foods I'm finding are not insoluable fibres.

• Posted

Hopefully, the tests will reveal what it is. Let me know..
  • Posted

You also might have a good intolerance or allergy (SIBO). Have you talked to a Dietician, or a nutritionist? To rule out any possible causes?
  • Posted

You can lose weight with IBS if your food is not digesting properly because you are not  absorbing the nutrients from your food.  If certain foods are diaagreeing with you, it can put you off eating which can cause you to lose weight. Weight loss can also be caused by anxiety about your symptoms. Try a food diary to identify problem foods. If you find any, avoid those foods to see if your symptoms get better.

Hyperthyroidism causes weight loss and can make you hyper energetic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.