Unethical Issue Regarding A Pediatrician?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was hoping to get some professional medical advice regarding something that happened to me when I was 14 years old. I used to see a pediatrician for several years until I reached adulthood. I had an appointment with him, probably for a check up or something, and he asked my mother about offering a breast examination. I didn't say anything, hoping she would just say, "no" to him. She consented to it. I was very uncomfortable, but I thought it would just be a medical thing. Later on, I felt horrible and wondered if he had other, more sexual motives, but also felt terrible for thinking that and tried to stop remembering and analyzing the incident. I eventually became extremely depressed and had many, daily suicidal thoughts as a teenager, but I didn't connect it to what happened until later. Last year, during October (the month of breast cancer awareness), I decided it might be prudent to look up the advised age for certain examinations. One of the Cancer Society Sources I found had a pdf file that indicated that in 2003, around the time the event occurred since I turned 14 that year, it was not advised to give clinical breast examinations to women under 20. I think something might be extremely wrong and this doctor is still practicing sonewhere near my community, but I wanted a second opinion. Is there ever a medically valid reason for a pediatrician to do that to a 14 year old?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Unless there was something wrong with your breast and that was the reason for the visit then no you shouldnt have been examined according to guidelines in 2003. However, If your family has a history of breast problems that may have been the reason. As your mother was there she would have trusted the pediatrician and probably didnt think it was strange, but I am sure it would have been very embarrassing for you.

I can understand how this is playing on your mind. I dont think you are in UK but there must be a governing body overseeing this doctor , who should be able to listen to your concerns .

• Posted

Thank you for replying. The only family history of breast cancer was my maternal grandmother, but she was much older at the onset (like over 70). I am in the US and, all professionals who work with children are usually required to have a background check, but it us not unheard of for sex offender cases to involve pediatricians (or other trusted types of professionals) who just weren't caught yet.

• Posted

Can you report your concerns to your local State Medical Board? That seems to be the way to go about it.At least it would raise the issue with them and they will be able to quietly investigate his current practice, probably without involving you in any way. I believe you can write to them. Just write to them in exactly the same way you have written on here about your worries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.