uneven leg lengths

Posted , 8 users are following.

Good morning.

I am now 4 weeks after a posterior THR (right) and able to walk without crutches on even ground but, the operated leg is definitely longer than the other, consequently I have a somewhat rolling gait.  My right knee is painful too.  Apparently the op was difficult because of a twisted femur. 

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has this problem and whether or not it is likely to diminish.  Does/can the new hip 'bed down' into the femur?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Glynis

Four weeks is very early to be without your crutches and if you have a gait it may be because it's too soon to discard them. Perhaps use one which will help you walk correctly. I was convinced one leg was longer I felt it dragged along but after time all has equalled out. I'm now nearly 5 months on. My knee was also very painful and I guess it's not surprising as they pull you around quite a lot during the op. That has gone now. Don't worry too much it's still early days. Exercise but plenty of rest too. Don't abandon those crutches yet!

Take care

Julie

• Posted

Hi Julie

Thanks for your encouragement. 

I wondered if going crutchless would encourage the right leg, but hearing your story tells me that perhaps I should go back one.  When did you go without? 

Glynis

• Posted

Glynis

I was still using one crutch at the 6 week point as I felt I was limping on the op leg. I guess about 12 weeks for me totally without. I still use a walking stick (which I hate) if I am walking any distance as my leg muscles are weak despite walking a lot. I have asked my GP for physio as none was given post op and I feel if I had some guidance I could build up my leg and ditch the stick! If you use one crutch or walking stick make sure it's the opposite one to your operated leg.

Don't despair!

Julie

• Posted

Hi Glynis, I agree with Julie, I used a crutch until my 6 week physio appointment. I hope your walking and knee pain improves.

All the best, Judith

• Posted

Hi 

i am 5 weeks post op and walk around without the crouch and I feel as though my leg is longer too I go to physio and they say their the same so I'm thinking maybe it just needs to settle in I had a robotic assist which is very precise with measurements and takes only enough bone that is nessasaury 

wish all the best 

gayle

• Posted

Glynis, i had walker for 6 weeks till i started do hydro therapy.

You are early stage only 4 weeks, all can setle down ,give the time. .

Use the crutches for suport it will help to walk corectly. Use them least

6 weeks. Do your excersice, rest when you need it. I did not use crutches at all i got walker. I live in Australia and that what they geve me.

When you started do physio they will tell you when to stop use tham.

Give the time the leg setle down. Its is brutal operation and probably

all is still swolen.. take iit easy good luck Madla❤

• Posted

Hi Glynis, 

I agree with Julie that you might have ditched the crutches too early - 

were your legs measured or is it more a feeling ... leg length differences are normal after this major invasive surgery where muscles, tendons, bone etc. was cut - hip joint forcefully removed - protheses hammered in, so to speak  In addition your femur was twisted and the operation probably longer and more involved ..

Your pelvic was also affected and cause a tilt, muscles are tight now that you start walking again -

I was advised to use walking assistance ( in my case a rollator) until 6 weeks and then using a cane until I felt confident and balanced and no limping ...

however ............ it will straighten it self out - depends how much difference there is ...

let us know how you are getting on, okay

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Glynis

Have to agree with ithers,,,,,you have probably stopped using your crutches too soon.  I'm 5 1/2 week post op LTHR and the physio has me on 2 crutches still as my gait needs fine tuning.  You've probably gots lots of muscle tightness, tension and maybe pelvic tilting that needs stretching out with physio/exercises.  Your crutches support your walking and until you can walk reasonably comfortably without a limp/waddle I'd stay on them.  You want the best out of this hip replacement like we all do, don't rush your walking. Take it easy.

Sarah

• Posted

My response and experience is different.  First I had an anterior Right hip, so muscles were cut.  I am three (3) weeks post-op today.  I walk in the house with no aid at all, I do carry a cane with me when I go out.  What PT has pointed out to me is that I was (am) doing two things I need to stop.  

The first, is that I was LEANING on the walker and cane and causing myself not to walk correctly (standing up straight). PT said they are there in case I need them at this point not to rely on.

Second item, and the one I work on every time I walk.  I apparently wallked with a limp for so longs (many years) that I am now limping by "habit".  PT said unlearning a "movement" (body habit) is one of the hardest things to undo.  If I do think about it I automatically limp (for no reason).

We do know that my operated leg is longer we are hopeful it will come down some as the bone grows.  However, it was longer to begin with and he did a great job not makig it any longer.  They have asked me not to do anything corrective (lift, etc) at this point and to see how things come along.

Best of luck.  

I am very thankful that things have progressed the way they have for me (and you) I know this has not been the case for everyone.  But we are all different ages, different operations, different physical abilities . . . and on and on.

I do not believe nor does my PT believe that I am going to fast.  When I tire (and I do), when my thigh muscles fatigue (and they do), I elevate and ice and take it easy.  

Oh my knee has been hurting too.  PT said (in my case at least) that the muscle that moves the knee is a smaller but mighty muscle that had to be moved out of the way for the operation and it will TAKE TIME for it to gain strength - hence why we continue to do our exercises.

I use my cane when I am tired and prefer to use my walker in the middle of the night for fear of falling when I am so tired.  I'm doing remarkably well but I'm also not about to do anything foolish.  Slow and steady.

Best of luck and continued successful recovery to each and every one of us.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your message - and to everyone who has taken the time to reply to me.

I do know that my leg is a little longer, as the surgeon told me that on day 1, he said it's about 5 millimetres, although it feels more like 15 to me! 

I had a physio session this afternoon and asked the delightful Pierre for his opinion and advice. He said if I walk with a rolling gait I'm not ready to give up the crutch,  so he's in agreement with all of you. 

Pierre had me do 10 minutes on the bicycle (without resistance) and 10 minutes on the treadmill.  I now ache and know I've worked; the ice pack and raised legs call, and maybe a bit of morale boosting chocolate!

• Posted

I have had both hips replaced (at different times) and 4 weeks seems too early to be walking without crutches.  You can only be guided by your surgeon and physio. I too felt one leg was longer but it settles down. Perhaps get the physio or surgeon to measure them next time you visit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.