unexpected allergy response

Posted ,

Hi. I've suffered from a nut allergy all my life (I'm nearly 40 now) Normally I have the usual itchy mouth, swelling throat and face and its instantaneous as soon as the food touches my mouth, but it's not as severe as it could be and I can manage it myself.

Today however I experienced a reaction that completely took me by suprise. I'd had a sandwich and salad at a restaurant with coffee, nothing that stood out as containing nuts. About half an hour later I experienced the most intense itching all over my body I'd ever experienced in my life, but no visible hives. I've got eczema but this was insane, a million times worse and completely uncontrollable. I had the throat swelling and itching but no swelling of the face, diarrhoea, sweating, nausea, fatigue, and feeling like I was going to pass out, followed about 20 minutes later with shivering and finally tiredness leading to me having a nap.

I've never experienced a reaction like that before, and to be honest it's scared me a little bit. I don't think I ingested any nuts, I would have thought I'd have noticed immediately like I normally do. Does this sound like a typical allergic reaction to anyone? and is it possible to have different reactions to different foods or is it more likely my nut allergy has after 40 years morphed into a different beast entirely?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.