Unexpected bladder issues.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I was wondering if someone could help me out with issues which I'm having with my bladder. It all started with an intercourse induced UTI. That cleared up and was taken care of. But it has happened thrice now that I have intercourse, and if its even mildly frictional, I start having bladder discomfort.

That includes feeling the urge to urinate and varying degrees of pins and needles sensation. I had myself checked by a urologist. He ran some tests. An ultrasound showed a post void residual urine of 28ml which was normal. But my bladder wall was slightly thick indicating mild cystitis. Urine culture and analysis came up clean with a little WBCs.

The infection cleared up on its own. Thing is this problem is recurring. Can anyone give any advice? Because I tend to urinate with more frequency under stress but this bladder discomfort starts if there is even mild friction during sex. Is this normal? And what should I do to curtail it? It's affecting my sex life with better half.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deineia, I have IC too. Went to my Gyn last September after having what I thought was the worst bladder infection..she said if there is enough bacteria in the urine (I had some but not enough to constitute a full blown infection), then it is considered a UTI. But when I was relaying my symptoms she began to tell me about Interstitial Cystitis and that she believed this is what I had. She gave me a list of foods/beverages to avoid, saying that the bladder becomes irritated from too much acidity. The idea is to keep the diet as alkaline as you can. If your doc indicated a diagnosis of Cystitis then maybe you should begin to change your eating and drinking habits? The correct diet is posted on other sites, including the IC network. There are even capsules you can take to lessen the acid in the things you eat and drink in a given day. I only mention all of this because if you do have IC it will continue to come back. But my question is, do your symptoms only come about after sex? My doc told me that sex can be painful (it is for me) if I have a flare going, and she also told me that IC is "endometriosis' sibling" (I have also had endometriosis). If you're seeing a urologist I hope they can get to the bottom of this for you. In addition, if you are in England there is a company called Pukka which sells freeze dried aloe Vera capsules. One woman I corresponded with said these capsules have made her pain free and she swears by them. I am in the states...we do get Pukka's teas but I have not been able to get the aloe Vera capsules at all and when I write to the company they don't even have the courtesy to respond. There is a company here called Desert Harvest which also sells aloe Vera capsules. I've tried them and they don't do much...but this woman swore by Pukka's product, so that might be something you can try. There are a few treatments for IC that don't work for everyone...don't know if your doc has suggested any of them. When my flares are at their worst I get pain not unlike cramping, I have to go urgently and it can give me pressure down there as well. It's a real pain and I hate it. Well, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. I hope this gets better for you. Just know that if it is, in fact, IC, it may keep reoccurring as there is no cure. But with proper diet, exercise, maybe treatment, etc, it can be moderately controlled. Best wishes to you. 

• Posted

Hey Marylh. Thanks so much for your reply. I've read up about IC. And when I took my scans to the urologist, he didn't make any mention that I might have it. And yes, this only happens to me after having sex. But only when there isn't a certain amount of lubrication present. The sex itself feels great, it doesn't hurt. But I've started getting anxious during it, feeling frightened I might start having that raw, gnawing feeling down below afterward. And then the annoying and irritating feeling of going to the loo again and again which leads to sleepless nights.

I'll go see a gynecologist like you have to rule out IC. You dont seem to have this problem due to intercourse exclusively, do you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.