Unexpected Effect Of 80mg/Day Extended Release Propranolol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had this added to my med regieme as I was starting to get frequent episodes of palpitations, chest pain and sometimes panic attacks (diagnosed anxiety related).

I had an episode of palpitations/chest pain this morning so I decided to start them. What struck me is I had these way back when I was a teenager when ICI made them under the brand name Inderal and I remember they quite quickly lowered my pulse and calmed me. It's just when I took one earlier it didn't really seem to have an effect on my pulse and rather make me feel slightly tranquilised so after a while I settled down due to that and I guess as a result my palpitations subsided? I just wondered if this is normal? I see they're supplied in generic form these days. The ones I have are called Bedranol SR 80mg.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've started taking the same this week. Have taken before my anxiety got bad so trying again. The first few days they knocked me out I felt so tired in the morning I wasn't with it. I've since taken my pulse a lot and it's down to around 50 Bpm compared to 80/90 which it has been. This does make me feel less anxious I suppose. I've had a few pains in my chest, not sure if it's the medication. I'm worried about putting wright on my tummy feels bloated already!
    • Posted

Are you taking beta-prograne?

Do you take it at night.?

I've just started this after many weeks of trying to get over Inderal withdrawals.

I've been taking it at night for two nights but still getting the physical symptoms

• Posted

Hi Mike

I was on Inderal LA 80mg for 8 years for migraine. As you said, they have stopped being made and replaced by genetic Bedranyl sr.

In my opinion they are not of the same efficiency. I tried taking the bedranyl sr but they seemed to be strong to start with giving me extreme tiredness within about 2 hours, but then wore off by late evening.

I found I was waking in the night with pounding heart.

As they didn't suit me my Gp said to stop altogether..... Cold turkey.

She needs stopping them I have felt extremely anxious. Palpitations, flushing, sweats. All of which I never had before I took inderal .

It Bern almost 8 weeks since I stopped and I feel a nervous wreck.

I was perfectly fine on the Inderal

• Posted

My tiredness seems to wear off too. Have you tried the half beta prograne ones??
    • Posted

Oh dear. It sounds like Bedranol SR might not work properly as far as the sustained release mechanism goes then. The only other one available now seems to be the one amy75782 mentioned 'HALF-BETA PROGRANE 80MG SUSTAINED RELEASE CAPSULES' I wonder if that might be worth a try.

I think I had a similar experience when they tried to take my Venlalic XL away and replace it with a cheaper generic Alventa XL (or horse pills as one pharmacist referred to them) I felt with that the sustained release mechanism didn't work properly in that a large amount of the drug was dumped in my blood stream straight away making me feel sick and ill for a few hours and then it wore off and I had no help with my depression/anxiey throughout the rest of the day. I begged to get Venlalic XL back as to me the sustained release mechanishm on those works well, certainly comprable to Effexor SR.

• Posted

Hi Amy

Are you taking beta-prograne sr yourself.

I've just decided to give this one a go as since I stopped Inderal LA my body has felt very anxious and jittery. That was in May when I stopped them.

Waited about 16 weeks but still felt awful so Dr put me on 10mg fast release 4 times a day but I've found it hard to fit them in with my thyroid meds and iron plus I felt they gave me too much at once.

Anyway. Last night I took a 80mg beta -prograne and today my head feels weird. Like I'm a bit tipsy and looking out of a fish bowl!!!!

Can you tell me if these initial effects wear off and how long do you take them before you notice they're making you feel bettet

• Posted

Hi Mike.

Are you taking beta-prograne?

Do you take it at night.?

I've just started this after many weeks of trying to get over Inderal withdrawals.

I've been taking it at night for two nights but still getting the physical symptoms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.