Unexplained abdominal/back pain for three months. So far all tests normal.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had chronic mid/right sided abdominal pain with radiation to the upper/lower back on occasional, as well as pelvic menstrual cramp like pains with low back pain.  One day the pains could be all upper/middle/right sided and the next it could only be in the lower pelvis area.   Ive had a complete abdominal ultrasound, chest/abdomen x-rays, and a complete panel of blood work; all of which were normal.  I am having a CT of abdomen/pelvic on Monday.   This has been going on and off for three months and i am starting to get concerned/frustrated what it could be. My mother passed away last year from pancreatic cancer, so of course now i am stressing over that too.  I've been under a tremendous amount of stress these past two years, which i know stress can cause health issues too.  Has anyone else gone through these symptoms?  My dr thinks it may be gallbladder, but with all other tests being normal, i am desperate to find out what it it (but also very petrified).  I am not throwing up, not losing weight, no jaundice, no change in bowel or bladder habits,and still have a good appetite.  Any ideas????

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello, 

I'm sorry to hear about your pain and I'm replying as you are the first person I've read about to have symptoms similar to mine. Back in May I started feeling sick and had pain to the right of my belly button. Treated with antibiotics twice plus lansoprazole twice. H-pylori negative. Ultrasound of gall bladder, spleen, kidneys, liver, aorta etc clear thus referred to gastroenterologist who pressed my upper right abdo once and decided it was gallstones, so told to have another ultrasound which again was clear. Next step is a gastroscopy which I've now cancelled twice due to being terrified and also don't believe it is anything to do with my tummy. No change in bladder or bowel habits, no diarrhoea or blood or mucus. Appetite great, no weight loss. I bloat and have pain which feels as though my intestines are going to come through my stomach wall however my gp doesn't think it is a hernia. I'm sick of feeling so rubbish and of not feeling listened to, I wish I could just have either a CT scan or an MRI scan rather than mess about with the cheaper diagnostic tests - it is really stressing me out. I'm 42 yr old otherwise fit and healthy female of 5ft and weigh 8st. The pain also radiates into my mid and upper back. I have very heavy painful periods also, however don't feel it is related. I've had enough!!

• Posted

Yes it does sound like we share similar symptoms. Luckily no loss of appetite or vomiting or diarrhea. No weight loss. So that's good. My back pain radiates from uppper down to Lower.I've had back issues in the past from my work which I sit at a computer for 10 hrs a day almost. So I wonder maybe it could be referred pain from an issue with my spine. You mentioned your monthly issue too. I have the same problem. I have a bit of anemia from it. I'm going to see my GYN as well to check for those types of problems.

• Posted

If you have no change of bowel habit and the pain is right sided, perhaps you should have a HIDA scan to check your gallbladder,
    • Posted

I'm hoping the CT scan will be me answers finally. Although I'm petrified to find out. I'm already starting stressed over this. I was relieved to hear all blood work was normal. For all I know this could all be related to my back. I've had back pain issues for years due to my work. Sitting st a desk hours upon hours a day. I just pray it's nothing serious. I'm going to see my GYN too for an exam.

• Posted

I have IBS and get pain that moves all over my stomach and radiates to my back and under my breastbone.  I also have a back injury.  I have had changes of bowel habit and nausea. The pain can be similar to period pain and can feel worse during periods. Stress brings on symptoms.  One of my health anxieties before diagnosis was also pancreatic cancer but the doctor ruled this out.  I tried to have a pelvic ultrasound but I couldn't tolerate the pain so it was abandonned.

• Posted

That's great pancreatic ca was ruled out. I pray it will be for me too. Esp since my mom died from it last year. But I don't have all the symptoms which is good

• Posted

Although they couldn't see my pancreas on my ultrasound, one of my doctors told me pancreatic cancer was very unlikely when I asked about it because if my age. As my symptoms are now a lot better, I feel confident in my IBS diagnosis.  

All the best to you for a speedy, non frightening diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.