Unexplained abdominal pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

4 1/2 months ago, on Febrauary 2nd, I started having really bad abdominal pain. I know the date because it was my birthday dinner when I first felt the pain that was so bad I couldn't eat. I've been in and out of doctor offices. I've had test after test done and I've taken several medications. I've had no answers.

Here's some background on me. I'm a 17 year old female. I've been pretty healthy except for the occasional cold/flu. My mom and sister have stomach issues as well. My sister has acid reflux and my mom's stomach is just sensitive. I've had stomach pains for a few years now. My mom made me take diet pills when I was 11 or 12. I took them for about a week and stopped because they hurt too bad to take. Ever since then I've had stomach issues: lack of appetite, pain when eating, and diarhea directly after eating. This past year I've been able to eat better though. The pain that started 4 months ago is comepletely different than any pain I used to feel and this pain is also consistent and not only after I eat. 

A little about the pain and what else is going on: it's consistent as I just stated. It does get worse after eating but only sometimes. It started on my left but now it's on my right. Sometimes it's so bad I can't move, drive, breathe. I do have diahrea all the time and it's either deep green or light brown. The green doesn't come after green foods, it could be after a piece of chicken or an apple.

What the doctors have thought/done: I've had blood tests stool samples, and urine tests done. Everything was clean. The doctor had a second blood test done incase the first had a false negative for Celiac Disease. However, my DNA showed no genes for Celiac. I had an upper and lower endoscopy. The lower was fine and showed no problems in my colon. However, the upper showed my stomach, small intestine, and esophagus were inflamed. After this I was prescribed antacids for acid reflux, pain killers/anti-inflammaroty for the pain and inflammation, and antibiotics for parasites. None of the medication helped and I've taken stronger antacids but still no relief. I had an ultrasound done and the only problem it showed was an enlarged gallbladder with no stones. I had a ct done and it was normal. I just recently had an mri done and that was normal as well. The next thing they want to do is a HIDA scan for my gallbladder. 

This pain is getting worse and it's harder for me to deal with. My doctor is confused and has no idea what to do next besides this HIDA scan which my insurance denied two weeks ago(we're trying again now that the MRI was normal). 

I start college in the fall and I am trying to find a job but I won't be able to do either with this pain. I'd appreciate any ideas on what is wrong or how to control the pain. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Omg. I hope you get better. My mom had diverticulitis when she had sever pain the first time. But now it's daily?
    • Posted

My grandma had diverticulitis. Her pain went away after changing her diet but I'm sure your mom's doctor told her about that diet change. Also, my neighbor has that and it's reoccuring. I'm not sure if the his pain is ever a daily thing or not but maybe your mom should stay away from the foods with seeds and stuff if she hasn't tried that yet.
  • Posted

So sorry you are having this problem.  Had a similar problem and was put on proton pump imhibitors for a while and then it cleared up.
  • Posted

Nicolle, 

I have been having almost identical problems this past month and had to take a leave of absence from graduate school. I have also had similar studies done as it was suspected gallbadder but all studies I've had thus far have come up negative. 

I was wondering if your stomach symptoms were resolved or if there has been a diagnosis for them? 

Thank you, maybe this could put my doctors on the right path. 

• Posted

Over a year later and still no ideas. It's gotten better but it's still pretty bad at time. Some days, I still can't eat at all. I hope you find some answers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.