unexplained abdominal pain radiating to back for over 2 month

Posted , 9 users are following.

Please can anyone help me?

it's over two month now that i am in constant pain, it started with a general discomfort in tummy, but now it’s getting quite painful, a very dull sour persisting pain in centre and when it gets really bad it radiates to the back as well.

I must add that i have bad and good days but the pain is always there,

Had an MRI and it all came back normal,

Had an endoscopy, Findings were Normal except for the

Duodenum Mild patchy erythematous bulbar duodenitis was evident,

but the doctor said it is unlikely that this inflammation should be causing my pain.

so i am really lost on what to do next, and how to get back to normal life

Any reassurance is appreciated

(PPI has also not helped so far)

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi mike60867

You have done the right thing not to ignore your symptoms. Your endoscopy suggests inflammation and quite rightly your doctor says you should be not be having the pains you describe. I would suggest you go back to your doctor and request a CT abdominal scan and an Ultra abdominal scan. The reason for these to rule out pancreas, gallbladder, liver diseases etc. Also you can request various blood tests and a stool tests to ascertain if your internal organs function well. Unfortunately the digestive tract is a complex system of which doctors can only use various tests to eliminate causes. There is no overnight cure for these issues as I have very similar issues like you. I have been suffering from my symptoms for 15 months and have carried out many tests, all coming back as generally normal. Anyway as every person is different you need to carry out these tests and I hope they find your route cause.

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply.

if my abdominal MRI showed everything normal including pancreas etc, do i still need to check it out with a CT scan?

best wishes

• Posted

Hi mike60867

It all depends on if your MRI scan was  abdominal specific, my experience tells me that when you have issues in the abdominal area there are many causes & unfortunately scans cannot always pick out all problems and issues that are starting out. As you stated that your pain sometimes radiates to the back, this could indicate pancreas issues, but then again it could be IBS or something else .It may help in your case to try with the blood work first & see if there are any abnormalities in their results that are causing your symptoms. Maybe also have an abdominal ultra scan which is very similar to a 'baby' scan for pregnant women. Like me I do understand your anxiety & it was also a shock to me when it suddenly happened. As stated earlier I have been suffering from abdominal pains, loss of appetite, loose stools, fatigue/weakness, nausea for approx 15 months and I have had 4 endoscopies,2 CT scans, many bloodtests, Abdominal Ultra scan, 4 stool tests & 67 visits to my surgery and still no diagnosis of what is causing my symptoms!!! But cancer has been ruled out in all my tests. I myself don't know what to do, so you are not alone my friend. Anyway I hope in your case they find out what is causing your issues. Good luck.

• Posted

Dear diplo

I really appreciate your reply

so sorry to hear you're suffering for so long, I hope you get better soon.

will definitely go back to the doctor and ask for more tests but I forgot to mention I did have a blood test and stool test and it all came back negative.

my stools are quite normal no diarrhoea or constipation no other symptoms really other than the constant pain.

hope we all get better soon and thanks again.

• Posted

I too have had all your symptoms going on 4 months now. I haven't had near the tests you've had, but getting there. I have back pain, both high and low, do you have that? I was diagnosed with Gerd and gallstones, having gallbladder removed last month. How do you cope on a day to day basis? This is no way to go through life!
    • Posted

Hi debbie75601

I don't get back pain but almost constant abdominal pain & discomfort.Yes I have had many tests in the 15 months or so I have been suffering.But they all come back relitely normal, I don't know how? Day to day it is extremely difficult & frustrating. My main symptoms are early awakening(5am -7am) from the abdominal pain, then after bowel movements which are loose & uncomfortable and I have to visit the toilet upto 3 or 4 times in the mornings. After that I get constant 'operative type pain' till mid afternoon. Througout the day I have loss of appetite, but surprisingly I have'nt lost weight. I cannot taste my food properly and don't enjoy eating & drinking as I once did. I feel isolated & lonely trapped by these daily symptoms with no where to turn. It is most distressing to see everybdy eating, drinking, smiling, enjoying themselves when I am totally off food. So yeah youre absolutely right it is no way to live life and I have all but given up with this life. Any views or suggestions from anyone would be most appreciated.

• Posted

So sorry you are so sick. I have no appetite, but have lost weight. Trying for answers too. Have you had them check your gallbladder? 
    • Posted

Hello

Yes I have had my Gallbladder, pancreas, liver & spleen all checked out by 2 CT scans & an Abdominal scans. I have spent approx £5000 in travelling to India, alternative medicines, 2nd opinions, scans, tests etc. but absolutely no relief from my symptoms. I cannot throw any more money at this and it just affects me 24/7!!! I only have this forum to write how I feel, with all of you who reply to me & I really appreciate this. I know i am not alone in these matters.

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I know your post was a while ago, but I'm just really starting out with these pains. I am already on Fentanyl, morphine, diazepam amongst other medications following a spinal fusion years ago ( I have been in these drugs for about 12 years!!!) My concern is that, I have lived with constant lower back pain for 12 years despite the strong analgesia, & if morphine & fentanyl doesn't take that pain away, what can they give me for this pain? But that's not the reason I chose to reply to your post in particular. It concerned me you said this was no way to live ( or something similar) I wanted to say, as above, I have lived with constant lower back pain for 12 years - fortunately ( I suppose) there was a diagnosis ( & not just general 'back ache'wink. I had a 2 level fusion but was warned 1 in 4 didn't help the pain. I am the unlucky 1!!! Yes there have been times when I've thought this is no life, but then I think of my family & the positives & it helps me cope. I had to be medically retired at 42 yrs of age. But, strangely, despite my pain, this opened so many other doors to my family. I was at home for my children. My husband & I both worked shifts to cover childcare so when I stopped working, my husband was able to find a better job, which, luckily, meant an increase in income. I got to spend EVERY Xmas at home with my children ( I was a midwife, but no longer consider myself a medical professional as things change so quickly!!) My family are very supportive, even tho I know they're disappointed sometimes when I have to cancel certain activities. So please don't give up & try see the positives in your life - I know there are times it seems there are none! I lost my dad 3 years ago, unexpectedly, & all I could think of was I wanted to join him. But a good gp & husband were my saviours ( & my family). I'm gutted to be now starting with this pain as I've been trying everything incl TENS so I can help look after my new grandson. I stopped 1 of my drugs which was 'knocking me out'. The pain has been worse since but I've found diff ways to cope & now this pain is threatening to keep me from looking after my grandson. I will not let it ruin anymore of my life - I have no idea how I'll cope if I don't get this pain sorted out - but I will cos I have family who need me. Please try & find something to focus on other than pain - it's hard & sometimes you can't. But there must be some parts of life you still enjoy - even if it's just the smile of a dear 1. I do hope you're sorted by the time you read this. Same to anyone else who feels they have no life.

• Posted

I agree with what diplo has said  - get all the tests done but be prepared for the fact they may not know what is going on.     I have what is termed as Visceral Hypersensitivity   - it makes my life  very difficult.   It seems to be a term used by gastro people but anyone else in NHS well there eyes glaze over.   Basically it's nothing serious but seriously affecting my life.     I find although they don't know what causes it they like to tick a box and make the reason for it stress and then give you tablets that quite frankly you don't need   (antidepressants as pain relief) and don't do any good.  Keep plugging away at the tests to rule out a simple solution but be prepared for the fact you may never know although definately keep HOPE that you can manage it all better.  
  • Posted

Go back to doctor and push on him the pain, other tests need to be done however don't think the worst because anxiety is the worst for any kind of tummy problems good luck
  • Posted

Just wanted to say that I too have been suffering constant abdominal pain and related problems for last 2-3 months. I don't want to detail all the symptoms and tests, but just ask why - when so may patients are suffering similar, life-changing pain and distress - the medical profession seems ready to send us away with ineffective pain relief and expect us to get on with it? A quick trawl of relevant sites shows just how many people are going through the same thing. 

Personally  I don't know how I can continue to cope with the care of my husband who has a brain tumour and needs a lot of support and help day to day - I just can't do it any more because of the level of pain I have.

I am becoming increasingly desperate and frightened about the future - telling me that stress is a factor is a joke - how does one avoid stress when there is pain and discomfort day after day after day. 

• Posted

Oh my heart goes out to you, no wonder your not feeling well, I know you are under a lot of stress, however I learned a technique called mindfulness and it just allows you that 5 minutes to totally shut down all your negative thoughts and feelings, honestly I didn't believe in any of it but that works. Try and read up on it, the good thing is you can do it anywhere.
    • Posted

Thanks Trish - I downloaded the Headspace app but just haven't felt up to trying it consistently because of pain - I will try though.
  • Posted

Hi,

I had sudden severe abdominal pain one afternoon and it struck quite quickly. Within 30mins I was screaming with pain that was radiating to my back, spasms through my abdomen and couldn't move. I was taken to hospital and admitted for 12days. They did all sorts of tests but unfortunately they failed to explore problems in the digestive system even though I had other symptoms also such as loss of appetite, acid feeling in my stomach, diarrhoea, constipation, vomiting all in the 12days I was in hospital. When I got out I went to see a private gastroenterologist who did an MRI scan and endoscopy which were fine. He said my blood results showed a problem with amylase levels which means there might be pancreatitis but we are waiting for the results from the CT scan at the hospital for further checks. It's been three months and I still have pains but they are not severe like the time I went to hospital. I've been trying to figure out myself what and when the pain strikes and One thing I've noticed is that when I eat chilli I get pain, or anything very cold but this is not the only times I get pain so not sure. Another thing that helps me deal with the pain is taking a medicine called Omeprazole 20mg which was given to me to take twice a day for 6weeks but I now take it when I have pain until the pain goes which is a day or two. It's really frustrating not knowing what this is and I can't help but think of the worst things it might be or lead to such as a critical illness. It doesn't help reading things on the internet trying to diagnose your illness yourself cus the symptoms relate to so many illnesses if the digestive system. I also feel my pain gets worse when I'm stressed out but I find it difficult to find time to chill and relax. Keep going to your doctor and challenge them to do various tests. Hope this helps in someways and good luck with finding your diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.