Unexplained Bite On Forearm

Posted , 5 users are following.

I really need some help!  Is there anyone out there that can help me identify a bite I received on my arm a few weeks ago.  I went to my doctor, urgent care, etc. out of concern that it could have been an unnoticed bat bite.  No one felt strongly enough to send me to the ER for rabies shots.  I never saw anything and I'm not exactly sure when I received the wounds. The wounds were small, about 3 - 4mm apart and I never felt any pain, sting or itch the whole time.  The wound has since healed cleanly.  The barely noticeable scar has two faint pit prick marks residing in a very faint red kidney shaped background.  Is there anyone out there that could look at these pics of the wound the first day I noticed it?  I really need someone (anyone) that can help, or know of someone that could help identify the wounds. Thank You!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi mac,   Cant say for sure, but only last night on  the news there was a interview with a gentleman who had been bitten by a TICK. He didnt notice any changes in himself until a few weeks down the line, where he became very unwell. I would go back to get it checked out.
    • Posted

Thank you for your feedback...I did have it checked out...The only symptom I've had is severe anxiety about this...I guess what I am looking for is if there are any folks out there that ever have seen a bite mark like this, that never hurt, itched or stung, please let me know...Any nurses, doctors, dermatologists, etc. out there that may shed some light on this?  I have more pics of it throughout the healing process if needed...Again, please let me know...Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Mac, whereabouts are you?? I would not imagine it to be a bat bite, it would have been multiple incisions, it looks more like an insect bite, where were you when you first noticed it, inside or outside, it's looking OK now and you said yourself your main problem is your anxiety regarding the bite.

• Posted

Thank you for responding...I live in Ohio...I first noticed the wounds a few Saturday mornings ago when I woke up in our bedroom.  There were two very moist scabs and when I wiped away the blood you can see the appearance of the wounds in the photos.  The wounds were about 3 - 4mm apart.  My theory is that I may have been unknowingly bitten by something the day before when I was pruning an ornamental tree off our patio...and perhaps the wound didn't bleed or leak until overnight....Never felt anything and there was no pain, itch or sting the whole time it healed...Yes, this is likely an anxiety issue, but it would really help if any folks out there who may have seen or experienced a "bite" like this before could provide me their thoughts/opinions. 

• Posted

It looks like a horse fly bite (as I'm a horse breeder I see a lot of them.)  I assume there are horse flies - or something close - in America.  You don't have tsetse flies - which are much bigger bites with far worse results.  Stop worrying if there are no symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.