Unexplained Chest Pain...

Posted , 3 users are following.

So.  For the last 4 months I have had ongoing chest pains every day without a break. 

To start at the beginning, I went out one night with work and got quite drunk.  This resulted in me being very sick.  The next day I started experience chest pain which I put down to a hangover.  However, this didn't go away and started to bother me quite a lot.  I ended up in A&E who did an ECG and told me I was fine and to see my docs.  

This started several visits and testings including more ECGs, a Stress ECG, numerous blood tests and lots of prodding and poking.

Since these came back clean,  the doc thinks it could be GERD Related and I'm on PPIs.  No change.  Now it hurts when I breathe.

So, cue another trip to A&E and a great doctor who went through everything. I have nothing serious, I am not going to die (yet) but they can't find the problem.  I am now referred to the Chest Clinic at hospital and am awaiting an appointment.  I am also awaiting an Endoscopy to check for GERD.

There is no pattern to this pain.  It doesn't change when I eat or drink.  I can not eat all day and it will come on suddenly and cause me severe anxiety.  

I was on a course of penicillin a few months ago for another issue but had no side effects.  Everything seems to have gone wrong since then.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  I want to know what it is, or is it just in my head...

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Did you vomit following your night out?
    • Posted

I did quite badly. Putting 2 and 2 together and making 4 im guessing its all related.
    • Posted

I'm obviously no physician, however it sounds like through puking, heaving and wretching, you may have pulled a muscle. Otherwise, a lot of times, people will suggest you look into costochondritis. My physician had suggested mine was musculoskeletal and due to pulling something by my ribs. But all my tests also came back negative and they had given me flexeril which is a muscle relaxer for musculoskeletal issues. Unfortunately it didn't seem to help me whatsoever.

• Posted

Hey Sam. 

just to update.  The Endoscopy Consultant thinks its pointless as the medication hasn't made any difference.  He's going to do it anyway to rule it out.  Back to the docs today as I came off my anxiety tablets (stupidly).  he has prescribed me propanolol 40mg, fluoxine and dihydrocodeine for the pain.  I'm hopeful that this will work!  Apart from making me high, it has eased off slightly but a long way to go!  

• Posted

If you have damaged a muscle it would take 6 weeks to be better, but if you have damaged cartledge or tendons, would be 12 weeks.

Local GP Dr told me that and I scoffed at him, rang sister, she is a senior nurse in a big hospital, and she confirmed what the Dr said. They were both right, at 13 weeks woke up one morning with no pain, amazed that the pain that had been so bad I had been on endone was just gone, I thought at first the pain was going to come back, but it didn't.

• Posted

I really hope so. Would love to wake up and its gone. I dont understand wy some days are worse than others. If I had pulled something then doing nothing should be good for me sad did you take anything or do anything? Im trying everything. Its a dull ache in the centre and moves to left and right never both at same time. Doesnt hurt to touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.