Unexplained feeling that woke me from sleep. What could it be?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I suffer with a few sinus arrthmyias including palpitations and tachycardia. I've been checked by two cardiologists and both agreed that I am ok. Last night, something really strange happened to me. I'm hoping for some advice. Thank you

The scariest thing happened to me. I don't think I was even asleep, it felt like it was those first few moments after you wake up. But I literally felt like I was dying. This is a weird analogy, but you know how when you go to the bathroom and if you have to push really hard..the pressure goes to your head, your upper body stiffens and you're like holding you breath in a sense. Well that's what it felt like and throughout my whole body. As if I was holding my breath for too long. Then I couldn't breathe at all, literally as if I was suffocating. It felt like I was dying to the point I actually tried to lift my hand to check my pulse on my neck. My chest felt tingly and still. Almost like a never ending palpitation. I'm thin I can always feel my heart beating, now I couldn't. But I couldn't move my body at all. I was just kind of able to move my head. I tried to call for my mom or dad but I wasn't breathing so I couldn't even talk. Went to reach for my phone to call and couldn't do that either. It felt like an outer body experience. Then I just snapped out of it and coughed a little to clear my breathing. It's so hard to explain what happened but I tried. Ive read about sleep paralysis and it doesn't seem to fit how I was feeling.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had these attacks for years, it feels as if my heart and breathing has stopped and usually happen a couple hours after falling asleep, i often get a svt attack after this episode.  i sleep very uneasily for the first part of going to sleep and wake up often feeling as if i,m going to die, i,m 70 years old now and don,t look my age as people tell me, 42 years of palpitations, aanxiety and depression and still brought up 3 children and held down a job until i was 59.

• Posted

Lilly, I would not worry to much. I have had the same sensation.Except I could not move at all. I was yelling ( I thought) in my sleep for help from my husband.He said I didn't move or yell. I have a slow heartrate( before pacemaker) and I think I actually passed out in my sleep. I felt like I was just not breathing or going into a hole.I am not sure. But, I felt really scared when I was able to get out of it. I am an very anxious person. I have often woke up feeling scared and feelings of doom in morning. Not a nice way to wake up. If it happens again , I would go to the dr and tell him. It really could have been sleep parralysis as you said.I don't know if this helped, but remember, we have no control , only God . God bless and try not to worry ( I know easier said than done~ ) We are victors! Not victems! Hugs, Mabel27

• Posted

I often wake during early hours of the morning with strange sensations going on.  My heart is racing and I feel as though I am going to faint - even though I am lying down!  As I drift back to sleep I feel as though I am passing out and wake myself up and have to take a deep breath.  During the day I often feel as though my heart stops or skips a beat - again I feel faint!  Going for echocardiogram soon, so if I get any answers I will let you know. 
  • Posted

Maybe sleep apnea ? Get it checked out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.