Unexplained Side Stomach pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

44 years old female. Good fitness shape with a decent diet for years. IBS suffering for more than 8 years. I managed with it, with the right foods, the right mindset, acupuncture, exercise,, supplements ect.

About 1 month ago I started feeling a sharp pain in my left side, of my abdomen (see picture) it's so sharp and hurts. It's taking over my life, all I can do is lay in bed, it's depressing me and scaring me.

I went to a CT scan, 2 sets of blood tests (mri scheduled for next week) I went to gastro/family doctor and finally , in despair to the ER!

They ultimately said I have poop backed up in my colon. They gave me stuff they give out for colonoscopy prep to make you poop things out. I took it. I pooped a lot. Pain is still there. Then I went to doc today again,, suggested I do an mri, and gave me more colonoscopy prep drink. I've drank it 2.5 hrs ago and haven't pooped.

I've always been bloated and have sensitivity with constipation, bloating ect!

What is this sharp pain

Have anyone here experienced this? It's taking over my life. Please. . Any insight and guidance is appreciated....

Here, in this picture is where it throbs of pain

https://ibb.co/dJnQp8

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I saw the pic. I had pain there too before and extreme bloating, nausea. Honey, after some years, I found out it was stress. Before, for years they would give me treatments for different sickness and nothing helped. Everytime I go to work I feel this whole 9 hours and go home and it slows down. I was 22 that time and after years of dealing with it I had to resign and changed drastically. Very seldom that I feel that pain. Bloating is still there though. 

• Posted

Thank you yes I know stress make et worse but is hard to control wen you are in pain !
    • Posted

IKR! How can you stop stressing? There isn't any on or off switch...

• Posted

You can get sharp stabbing pains with IBS along with throbbing, dull, sore to touch and deeping grinding pain.  Sounds like an IBS flare up   Worry will make it worse.
    • Posted

Yes you sed the roith words grinding pain is the description!!!!i jest stell can’t belive ibs can ghive that pain all the test came normal colon is normal but they say I don’t release enough pup after 2 month fighting the pain I got very depressed I am in a dark place wifh my minde I know better is jest hard to get out of et ! Thanks 
    • Posted

IBS can indeed cause all that pain and will not show up on any scan.  When all your tests are negative, IBS can be diagnosed.  Once I stopped worrying and believed my doctor and my negative test results, my pain improved greatly.  IBS doesn’t go away completely.  It merely goes into remission but  can come back again.  Symptoms can change over time.  It is very common to have difficulty believing you have IBS, but once you start to accept it, you will cope with it better.
  • Posted

Hi there I was told by IBS can cause pain in lots of places and it's obvious yours has, hope you get it sorted soon, when is your MRI?

• Posted

After 2 ct scan no need for mri I am a bet better jest over all I got very depressed, for 5 year I followed a low food map diet hade the ibs under control wifh same fleer ups but not like now in the er ghive me morfine for pain and 30 min letter pain got back 

I pup every day but they say I don’t release enough so I am trying a constipation pill ! Thank you for the reply eny suggestions on the depression?

• Posted

Hi first of all i will say your not alone i read what you said and it was like reading exactly what i am going through right now, the only thing is i do have quite a few problems from ibs , depression, anxiety, eating disorder , and now just be diagnosed with BDD, so you are lucky you only have ibs, not that is lucky it just means you only have one thing to deal with, and like you i tried everything with the diets so in the end i was given mebeverine, then that was discontinue, so i was put on colofac, when is in the same group and everything was fine, i could eat anything, not that i am a big eater, but all of a sudden i would get these sharp pains in my side just where you have yours, but it would come and go, so i would not do anything about it, sick of doctors and being prodded, so i sorted it out with pain killers , but i have noticed my ibs has got worse , and so i changed my diet and it worked for a while but this pain keeps coming back, some of my friends said you are at the age of the change 54, i never thought of that , my friend went through her change at 39, so now i have been up all night with terrible pains and sharp pain in my side, so i am going for a blood test to see if i am going through the change, can not put up with this any more, you said you had blood test but what was that for, do you have any symptoms of the change, sweats , if not , get back to me i may have other ideas , do not let your mind think the worse , that will only make you feel bad
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your response, the blood work was in general health but olso to check the enzime and infection ,I been in Amatiza but I was allergic now on Trulance but stell don’t work I do pup every day none constipeted but I don’t release enough so I ended in th Er wifh sever pain all the test cames back normal I been trying magnesium citrate 2 oz wifh fiber it seems to help but after a week it stop working now back in Miralax . We’ll see in a week the pain is not as bad I been taking Chamomile pills and it really helps with the pain I can’t even belive that it accidentally works the colon relaxer from my doc don’t work I am giving up on dr for same time now I am surche my sealf I know what food makes wors so the problem is I need fiber but wen I get fiber it makes et wors like spanac... or apple after 3 clinse in one month can’t do them no more is to harsh on my bady I got a Chiniez acupuncture dr that make me a mix of plant tee to take it helps wifh the enzyme but stell can’t pup more it very hard you roith but my minde is jest up I am depressed and frustrated is like samsing shout down on my system I can finde what yet I have been my won dr waiting on same blood work that I am checking adder enzymes then jest the normal ones that dr ghive me and I we’ll see pruty sure they we’ll be normal but I have to know eny suggestions what shood I take to pup more volume lol I hope you ok today that’s what I been tell my self one day at the time !! Sory if my English is not to good on roithing I am from a difrent contry... but after 20 year I shood do better!!
  • Posted

Hi thanks its great to know i am helping people in another country, and not to worry your english is great i understood it ok, i hope you are getting the help you need. it might take time to find out what the problem is but at least you are taking steps to get there, let me know how you get on, and keep taking the herbal drinks if they help and stay away from stuff that causes you pain , write down what causes you pain do a diary ,so you remember, take care
  • Posted

Hello there I have the same pain in the same place though it is more of a grinding pain then a stabbing one. I have a MEGACOLON which is completely constipated. the doctors have given me various types of laxatives during the last 18months. Although I feel they work to an extent scans show I am still full. Actually I found that the Kleen Prep really made this pain worse. The doctor explained that is probably because the colon is already sensitive and under pressure and Kleen Prep works by drawing water from other parts of your body in to the colon therefore putting it under more stress. I wonder if you have tried the FODMAP regime for IBS or equally wether you have thought about gluten being a problem for you., if so there is a lot of advise on celiac disease and gluten intolerence, it can cause contipation, in which case you need to be careful where your fiber comes from. Drink 2 to 3 litres of water a day, I drink water with natural magnesium in it as that can help get you going. The other thing is to get moving sport even walking can help move things along and will lift your spirits too. I dilute 30 grammes of Magnesium chloride from the Pharmacy in a litre of water and drink a glass, no more or you wont ever get off the loo, it doesnt taste nice but you will need to stay near the loo for a couple of hours. I dont know if that is helpful, I followed FODMAP for 5 months and it didnt do much for me but I am starting now a gluten free regime and replacing cows milk with rice milk to stop mucus probs. I hope this helps I am sorry you are in pain and hope you feel better soon.biggrin 
  • Posted

I just posted something very similar to your post.

pain after eating...constipated but going

please read my post

how are u now?

what has worked for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.