Unexplained strange neuro symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I have had some very bizarre neurological issues recently (and my neurologist is stumped) so I thought id throw this out to see if anyone is interested and has some ideas.

Me: otherwise healthy, white 39 year old male with Scandinavian/blonde/pale skin and hair. Only neurological issue was a bout of Meralgia paresthetica in my right thigh early last year.

In July last year (2020) I suddenly started getting the sensation of vibrating/buzzing inside my lower legs - like a mobile phone type vibration. I only felt it when at rest and not when walking or moving my legs. A few times it happened in my whole body during the night in bed - I'd wake up and feel it going as far up as into my arms. I saw my GP who was stumped and blood tests came back normal inc B12. Since Covid, I have been taking Vitamin D supplements too. These symptoms disappeared after a few weeks and I basically forgot about it.

Then in early January, it came back all of a sudden. Mostly in my legs, a few times overnight in my body. As before, it disappeared after a few weeks. However, I was left with a bizarre symptom of whenever I touch my groin area, including penis, the small toes on my right foot feel like gravel is being rolled around inside them. It happens when I move my hips too. The gravelly, vibrating feeling happens in time with hip movement or when I touch this area of my body. This continues to this day - all movement makes my right foot toes have this annoying sensation and as I walk around my right foot feels like it’s walking on sand. I began to get brief wet and cold feelings on the skin of my feet and legs. Like cold water is being poured on my skin. I also experienced burning sensations in the soles of my feet and had to take my socks off to feel more comfortable. This feeling seems to have settled now thankfully. Every now and then I also feel an internal vibration/buzz around my bottom / base of spine, usually only when sat down.

Finally, during this time I also started to get hyper sensitivity to loud/abrupt sounds and have constant tinnitus in both ears. I am currently finding it hard day-to-day as sounds like clanking (such as pots and pans, plates) and loudish speech can feel like my brain is being pierced. I do not know if this is connected to the other stuff but I find it odd that it came about during this time.

During all of this I have been very anxious and worried. I saw a neurologist, and I was quite concerned about MS. I had blood tests and had an MRI of brain and spine. MRI was normal, no signs of nerve lesions anywhere and the only indicator of the blood tests were an elevated ACE Serum level of 60 (normal range goes up to 52 I believe).

Whilst the MRI ruled out anything physically sinister, my concern is nerve damage from some mysterious virus or infection. I was just wondering if anyone had any other thoughts or have experienced something similar.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hey, do you still have issues with this?

Had something pretty similar, with some additional symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.