unexplained symptoms - several months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have been having some symptoms that I have been unable to find the cause of. I will try to keep this as brief as possible:

A bit of background - I have IBS like symptoms and just started receving treatment following clear colonoscopy. I have had these symptoms for over 10 years

My main issue is a constant brain fog (the best way I could describe it). It's kind of like there's a cloud over my sensations. I have had this for 14 months. I have done an MRI which was clear. My brain fog doesn't affect my concentration but I feel my memory and thinking is not as sharp as it used to be. The best way I would explain it is the physical changes that happen after 2 or 3 shots of alcohol without the pleasant mood changes of course.

Two months ago I started having Tinnitus, all ear related tests came out normal.

My main issue is the brain fog that has been there for over 14 months after it began for no apparent reason.

I have been told by a couple of GPs that it is anxiety and have taken different medications over several months. I do have a little anxiety and the medication helped certain issues such as weakness and the excessive worrying of course but my brain fog never really went away.

I am running out of options on what it could be, any help would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have the GPs done any blood tests Jon?  People sometimes mention 'brain fog' with an underactive thyroid amongst other things and I was just reading about brain fog and Methotrexate - I was on MTX and it certainly slowed me right down.

Are you on any drugs?

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I may have missed mentioning that I have done blood tests to check my thyroid levels and they came out normal. I have also had FBC, insulin, FBS and hba1c (to test for hypoglycemia as I have the symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia and they were all negative so I guess it is due to my anxiety).

I've been off the anxiety meds for a few months now and only just started meveberine for my IBS.

• Posted

To echo Mrsmop, I think you should have blood tests if you haven't yet.

My brain fog and tinnitus were progressing, with some other symptoms, and I had no idea it was related to low B12. After a month of injections, I could see/feel a major difference!  I can't say I'm 100%, and I may go back on injections, but I'm so so so much better now than I was before treatment!  I also had weakness, fatigue, shortness of breath (I didn't think much of it until I was asked at my GP's office) and really heavy-feeling legs. I had tingling, numbness and pain, too.  Just one thing like a deficiency of vitamins or hormones can really do a number on someone!

See if your anxiety medications have side effects like tinnitus. Medications can be harmful that way, so you may want to check with your dr. or pharmacist. I know I can't stop your anxiety by recommending that you relax, but we do make our selves sick(er) with worry, don't we?  You're certainly not alone and I think you'll find your answer and be well again!  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have done blood work but not covered Vitamin levels so maybe I'll get blood work done for this. Actually, I have had all the symptoms you described such as fatigue, tingling, heavy legs but I attributed it to anxiety.

I had stopped the anxiety medications a few months before the tinnitus started. It sort of started out of the blue.

I agree that anxiety makes everything worse and I am doing my best to relax and keep my mind off. Thanks for the reassuring words, it helps.

• Posted

Hi Jon, 

I have had symptoms similar to yours for over 6 years. I was eventually diagnosed with osteomalacia three months ago due to severe vitamin D deficiency. After ten weeks of high dosage supplement, my brain is almost returning to normal - normal for me! If you haven't had a blood test for your D levels, it could be worth asking. 

All best wishes.

:-)

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't checked my vitamin D levels, perhaps I should.

Glad to hear that you figured out your cause.

Regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.